Portugal: Riot cops clear the way for dock scabs to load lorries
PORTUGUESE riot police held back striking Lisbon dockers yesterday while port operators deployed scabs to remove shipping containers stranded for several weeks by the strike over pay and workplace rights.
Strikers gathered outside the dock gates shouting at the blackleg, who were loading the containers onto lorries.
The dockers and shipping companies operating at the port failed to break the deadlock in their latest talks last Friday, following which seven firms threatened to start laying off workers to compensate for lost income.
The firms claim to have lost about €10 million (£8m) so far... read more
- 08:00 Duffers’ Derby County Diaries: More at stake than just local pride...
- 08:00 Theresa May faces leadership contest TONIGHT as MPs trigger no...
- 07:59 Sheffield news LIVE: News, traffic and travel updates
- 07:58 Winter weather preparations
- 07:57 Prime Minister Theresa May to face vote of no confidence
- 07:56 Anthony Lester quits House of Lords, citing health toll of sexual...
- 07:56 Brexit in chaos as Tory MPs trigger vote of no confidence in May
- 07:56 Dries Mertens hints he wants Maurizio Sarri reunion at Chelsea
- 07:56 Missing Garstang man believed to be in Lancaster
- 07:54 Mo Salah 'unhappy' at Liverpool; Manchester United eye Brazilian;...
- 07:52 Theresa May to face leadership challenge
- 07:50 Undercover police in bid to catch pickpockets in Sheffield city centre
- 07:50 Facebook HQ evacuated following bomb scare
- 07:49 Dixons Carphone posts £440m loss in first half
- 07:47 Manchester United set to up efforts to sign Middlesbrough youngster
- 07:47 Wedding Cake Rock: new fence will stop visitors climbing 'unsafe'...
- 07:46 Theresa May to face no confidence vote as Tory leadership contest...
- 07:45 This is what will fill giant hole in Coventry's skyline
- 07:44 Superdry warns worse to come as profits plunge
- 07:44 Plea to ‘throw the book’ at yobs who target firefighters after...
- 07:43 Preparing for the worse as winter brings threat of Calderdale floods
- 07:42 Strasbourg shooting: France hunts gunman as alert level raised
- 07:41 Revealed: Google's 'two-tier' workforce training document
- 07:42 Undercover police in bid to catch pickpockets in Sheffield city centre
- 07:41 M&S appoints former Sainsbury's chief Justin King to board
- 07:41 Luxury Kensington complex will have just five affordable homes
- 07:41 Uber pushed for UK congestion charges that would hit poor hardest
- 07:39 Theresa May could be delaying tomorrow’s key Brexit vote
- 07:39 Sheffield news LIVE: News, traffic and travel updates
- 07:37 Motion calling for free sanitary products to tackle 'period...