Plague: Black Death could rip through Madagascar as families REFUSE to part with bodies
The epidemic has so far infected nearly 2,000 people and experts have warned the outbreak is the worst the country has seen in more than 50 years.
Plague, also known as the Black Death, is an annual occurrence on the island nation, but this year’s breakout is especially severe because it has spread into major towns and cities.
At least 143 people have been killed so far, and officials have been forced to go to extreme lengths in their fight to contain the spread.
Special measures being used to prevent infection include sending health workers equipped with anti-bacterial chemicals to treat... read more
- 14:15 Search to find missing Nuneaton schoolboy
- 14:15 Businessman's shock at top Lancashire accolade
- 14:13 Get voting and let's bring home the gold to Northumberland
- 14:13 Man injured as assailant smashes windows of his car with metal bar...
- 14:11 The little red box that's a big help to female students
- 14:11 Your chance to learn how to win more contracts for your business
- 14:11 Chesterfield man charged with taking a 80-year-old man's bag in a...
- 14:10 Rejection on the cards for new homes in seaside village
- 14:10 Housing on former school site before councillors for decision
- 14:10 Get voting and let's bring home the gold to Northumberland
- 14:10 Businessman's shock at top Lancashire accolade
- 14:08 Facing Zlatan, playing for Liverpool, breaking through at Tottenham...
- 14:07 Scarborough's Construction Village receives £900,000 to fund...
- 14:06 Woman faces jail for supplying drug to friend who died on night out...
- 14:05 Melton care home’s state-of-the-art music room to help dementia...
- 14:04 John Mitchell finally begins new role as England rugby defence...
- 14:03 Businessman's shock at top Lancashire accolade
- 14:03 Carlisle man caught parading around Harraby naked
- 14:03 ‘Tied to trees and raped’: UN report details Rohingya horrors
- 14:03 Apple iPhone iOS 12 review: Finally, a release ‘that just works’
- 14:02 Poem-roaring lion to be unveiled in Trafalgar Square
- 14:01 Businessman's shock at top Lancashire accolade
- 14:01 Sergio Ramos aims dig at Antoine Griezmann over Lionel Messi and...
- 14:00 Getting knives off the streets of Bridlington
- 14:00 Class A drug dealer on the run after failing to turn up at court
- 14:00 Chesterfield man charged with taking a 80-year-old man's bag in a...
- 14:00 Sheffield boy stranded in Belgium: MP says ‘lessons must be...
- 14:00 Woman faces jail for supplying drug to friend who died on night out...
- 14:00 Curfew extended after woman breached court order
- 13:59 The heartbreaking photo that raised $43,000 in one day