Photos capture tragic toll Zika virus has taken on Brazilian families
The tragic toll of the Zika virus has been detailed in series of images taken in Brazil.
An outbreak of the virus in the South American country three years ago caused thousands of cases of microcephaly and other birth defects in newborns.
Reuters returned to northeastern Brazil and spoke with nearly 30 mothers who contracted Zika during pregnancy.
Most revealed they had been abandoned by their husbands and were now caring for their affected children around the clock.
Others have also suffered from depression and considered suicide.
They added their lives had been made tougher because they... read more
- 18:56 Arrest made after men fired shotguns at group in carpark
- 18:55 Face of man with 104 convictions who robbed elderly woman in her bed
- 18:53 Mattei Salvini ready to 'confront EU' after Italy's budget rejected...
- 18:51 Knife stabbed through cyclist’s head in attempted-robbery
- 18:50 Drivers warned of delays after crash on busy Sunderland road
- 18:44 Investor says sorry for huge losses
- 18:43 John Allen Chau: Who was US man killed in remote islands?
- 18:42 Warehouse worker seriously injured after fall
- 18:42 West Brom coach makes this bold claim - and Aston Villa and Leeds...
- 18:41 Threat to May subsides but Commons vote could trigger new push
- 18:41 LOTTO RESULTS: Winning National Lottery numbers for Wednesday...
- 18:41 Amazon hit with major data breach days before Black Friday
- 18:40 Scottish ski centre plans to introduce tree skiing (and snowboarding)
- 18:37 Police and ambulance rush to incident in Boston
- 18:36 Premier League rejects FA proposal to increase homegrown quotas
- 18:36 Tom Scudamore fit and on course to ride Thistlecrack in Betfair Chase
- 18:32 Family ‘overwhelmed’ by generosity of public who offered support...
- 18:32 Celtic to boycott Rangers away clash? Why fans could miss out on...
- 18:32 "Are you taking the p***?": Customers accuse McDonald's of false...
- 18:32 Power cut affects Sheffield retail park
- 18:29 Ex-Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner to serve 50-day prison sentence...
- 18:27 Wellesbourne to become a world centre for driverless cars
- 18:27 UK universities urged to review ties with UAE over jailing of academic
- 18:26 Power cut affects Sheffield retail park
- 18:26 Council to spend £325,000 on organisation aiming to bridge skills...
- 18:26 Universal Credit in Doncaster: Warning over potential £24 million...
- 18:25 Scots druid and witch pals in court after trespassing at Stonehenge
- 18:25 Apple supplier to slash expenses amid concern over iPhone sales
- 18:24 Sugary supplement mannose could help fight cancer
- 18:24 Chicago doctor killed by ex-fiance called police to report she...