Photos capture tragic toll Zika virus has taken on Brazilian families
The tragic toll of the Zika virus has been detailed in series of images taken in Brazil.
An outbreak of the virus in the South American country three years ago caused thousands of cases of microcephaly and other birth defects in newborns.
Reuters returned to northeastern Brazil and spoke with nearly 30 mothers who contracted Zika during pregnancy.
Most revealed they had been abandoned by their husbands and were now caring for their affected children around the clock.
Others have also suffered from depression and considered suicide.
They added their lives had been made tougher because they... read more
- 12:36 Dating agency for people with learning disabilities comes to...
- 12:34 Mum wants you to watch chilling CCTV showing her teenage son being...
- 12:34 Man circumcised by ACCIDENT in bizarre mix-up at Leicester hospital
- 12:33 Lamborghini driver ‘cries’ after crashing car in illegal street race
- 12:33 HEAD LINES: Children mustn't allow anyone to hold them back
- 12:33 Anti-vaxxers have some weird new theories – like the idea polio...
- 12:33 What is a cyclone and how is it different from a hurricane or tornado?
- 12:33 Tesco to make big changes to its fruit and veg from today
- 12:33 Fury over ‘drunk Barnsley fans who abused passengers and...
- 12:33 This is why HMV is closing its Solihull store
- 12:31 Chesterfield MP Toby Perkins voices concern about extra costs faced...
- 12:30 Coventry City boss Mark Robins has been asked about his meeting...
- 12:28 Cost of repairing Tree Top Walk near Northampton 'beyond budget'
- 12:28 'It feels amazing to win the award': Northampton town centre pub...
- 12:28 Mum gives birth to 'miracle' baby after eight miscarriages in 10 years
- 12:28 Isle venue undergoes £300k refurbishment
- 12:28 Transfer of policing powers to the mayor is rejected
- 12:28 Pedestrian crossing for road where girl was badly injured in Solihull
- 12:27 Why the Tories and Lib Dems should hang their heads in shame
- 12:27 Former Derby County striker rejected move to Nottingham Forest -...
- 12:25 Zinedine Zidane asks Real Madrid board to sign Liverpool star Sadio...
- 12:25 Man in his 20s killed and two women seriously injured in Atherstone...
- 12:22 A griefstricken mum wants you to watch the moment her son was...
- 12:22 Three in court over Bedworth disorder
- 12:22 Protestors remind drivers of Hennef Way pollution levels at rush hour
- 12:21 'Large amount' of cannabis found in disused building on Retford's...
- 12:21 England-Germany showdown presents stark clash of youth cultures
- 12:20 Scots to bask in 22C as arrival of African winds bring April heatwave
- 12:19 Masked burglar's photo taken by doorbell in middle of house raid
- 12:17 Masked men steal from delivery vehicle in Harrogate