People prone to stress could be at a greater risk of developing dementia
Scientists found high levels of the stress hormone cortisol could trigger the deadly brain disease, and hope their discovery will help them design drugs to combat the illness.
The team from Edith Cowan University in Perth, Australia, measured the cortisol levels and memory function of 416 healthy adults over six years.
They also scanned their brains to measure their levels of amyloid beta, a protein strongly associated with the development of Alzheimer’s.
Lead researcher Professor Simon Laws said the study showed that among adults with high levels of amyloid beta in their brain, those... read more
- 11:20 Theatre preview: Pride and Prejudice reimagined for the 21st Century
- 11:19 Rafael Nadal and Maria Sharapova line up grass-court matches prior...
- 11:19 Man Utd growing confident over signing Willian due to Chelsea budget
- 11:19 Man Utd legend Roy Keane: Why I DON’T regret walking out of 2002...
- 11:19 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:18 Charlie and Gayle Anderson deaths: Couple 'dreamed' of Jamaica move
- 11:18 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:17 Northumberland mum one of 'top 50 women in engineering'
- 11:17 Record run chase is just the job for F&B
- 11:15 Dublin crash horror: Car hits crowd outside church - two seriously...
- 11:14 Quiz: World Cup hat-tricks
- 11:14 Women's decathlon set for US debut – but do athletes really want it?
- 11:14 Sunderland's Bette Davis expert set to speak at celebrity conference
- 11:14 Watch: Huge flames and black smoke rise into the sky after 'arson...
- 11:14 Mansfield Woodhouse road closed after motorbike crash
- 11:14 The Met Office is introducing two new types of weather warnings -...
- 11:14 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:14 Britain braced for 'blowtorch' heatwave which could spark...
- 11:13 Stacked up on sun cream? Here are seven things you didn't know...
- 11:13 Can sunscreen stop you from getting a tan?
- 11:12 Mystery over sudden death of boy, 3, who went to sleep and never...
- 11:12 Dog gets jaw and tongue stuck in toy she only had for 30 minutes
- 11:12 Morley RFC welcomes new chair and president with family day
- 11:11 Eighty-two chihuahuas found at Birmingham house
- 11:11 More rare dormice released into the wild
- 11:11 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:10 Gareth Southgate would not swap Harry Kane for anyone
- 11:10 Fantastic family fun on the canal
- 11:10 Inquest adjourned following sudden death of Barrow dad, 45
- 11:09 Stop your dogs biting us, plead postmen after 2,300 attacks in...