Penny pitching: Your eight uses for 1p and 2p coins
The future of 1p and 2p coins may be in doubt - but it seems their use goes way beyond simply paying for things.
Treasury officials are seeking views on the future mix of UK notes and coins as we increasingly move towards digital and mobile payments.
It conjures up the image of people throwing their smartphones, rather than coppers, into a fountain for good luck - although Downing Street has backed away from a plan to scrap copper coins.
According to BBC News readers, viewers and listeners there are many other uses for these coins, from home improvements to baking. Here is a selection.
1.... read more
- 04:24 Buildings for learning, study and rehabilitation all up for 2018...
- 04:11 Dystopia, trauma and grotesque ballet: the gut-wrenching darkness...
- 03:22 Retirees would need 9% more savings under Labor franking credit...
- 03:22 Weetabix wars: British shop in New Zealand wins fight against...
- 03:20 Bodyguard: David Budd could help save lives of those with PTSD
- 03:07 Beijing protests Swedish TV satire about Chinese tourists
- 03:03 New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern's baby premieres among world leaders
- 03:02 Thomas Jones: No charges in missing university student probe
- 02:53 Dara O'Briain on why comedians are reluctant to do Mock The Week
- 02:38 Facebook failing to protect moderators from mental trauma, lawsuit...
- 02:32 Wales tops England on NHS doctors' and dentists' pay deal
- 02:32 Mike Hall: UK cyclist died instantly in race collision, inquest told
- 02:22 Advocates fear NSW child protection bill reduces rights of birth...
- 02:09 Melbourne pedestrian killed by a car while helping dying motorcyclist
- 01:58 Court orders Peter Dutton to transfer ill family of three from Nauru
- 01:51 Loneliness a ‘major public health concern’ a number of isolated...
- 01:35 David Attenborough says BBC should prioritise arts
- 01:25 US man, 74, found alive days after fire in Washington DC
- 01:22 Labour threat to vote against Theresa May's Brexit plan
- 01:20 Paul Gascoigne's nephew self-medicated with internet drugs, mother...
- 01:16 Two staff at Market Rasen school resign after 'romp on...
- 01:14 Natalie Bennett: Appetite for a democratic revolution
- 01:14 Andrew Vine: Labour MPs can’t keep on dodging questions about...
- 01:11 Fatal plane crash: Queensland pilot may have lost control due to...
- 01:11 Elderly man found alive inside building five days after it burned down
- 01:00 Domestic abuse victims 'failed' by private probation service
- 00:59 Raptor crime report sparks fresh calls for grouse moor licensing
- 00:56 Letter from Africa: Why I was sentenced to 5,000 years in jail
- 00:56 Reality Check: The worst place to be stranded at sea?
- 00:50 Why an authentic taste of India is going down so well for Gokul...