Paul Townend repays Al Boum Photo’s owners in gold for mistake
In the hard-nosed, results-driven world of horse racing jockeys who make a mistake cannot always count on getting the chance to redeem themselves. Paul Townend, by contrast, was generously supported after throwing away a victory on Al Boum Photo in extraordinary fashion last year and on Friday he seized the chance of a victory so glorious as to ensure past sins were forgiven and forgotten.
“To repay them with a Gold Cup is the best feeling in the world,” said the 28-year-old jockey, who cannot have had high hopes of such a deliriously happy outcome. Al Boum Photo was the third string of the... read more
- 04:32 Shocking footage shows car driving down pavement on WRONG side of road
- 04:32 NSW election: the Labor underdogs fighting for unlikely northern...
- 04:32 Giant sunfish washes up on Australian beach: 'I thought it was a...
- 04:26 The latest on West Bromwich Albion's manager hunt as this man...
- 04:26 Birmingham City's finances explained and the Championship's...
- 04:26 Wolves' Wembley ticket latest as Old Gold star is snubbed and...
- 04:14 Guatemala seeks arrest of former attorney general Thelma Aldana
- 03:52 Domestic abusers 'sewing GPS trackers into teddy bears'
- 03:50 Frustrated fire chief blasts bad parking as 'constant problem'
- 03:33 Michael Daley gives 'unqualified apology' for claim Asian workers...
- 03:33 Fake news spikes in Indonesia ahead of elections
- 03:20 New Zealand shooting: Terror suspect staked out mosques 'disguised...
- 03:20 Thousands of Brits are signing up for assisted suicide in Switzerland
- 03:11 EastEnders overrun set rebuild project criticised by MPs
- 03:03 Cyclone Trevor: far-north Queensland areas face days without power
- 02:37 Where is Robert Murat now?
- 02:30 Hong Kong to build one of world's largest artificial islands
- 02:17 PayPal urged to block essay firm cheats
- 02:14 US airstrikes in Somalia are killing civilians, Amnesty...
- 02:06 Hint of fresh Wallabies approach may have Waratahs sweating
- 02:06 Kenneth To, Commonwealth Games medal winner, dies aged 26
- 01:44 Brazilian drug gang opens fire on convoy of trucks carrying nuclear...
- 01:27 Llanelli rescue after worker gets stuck in 20ft hole
- 01:27 Benefits cheat caught running at Crufts dog show
- 01:27 University of South Wales rugby on hold amid conduct concerns
- 01:24 The Yorkshire Post says: Chris Grayling runs out of excuses as Rail...
- 01:23 The Yorkshire Post says: Chris Grayling runs out of excuses as Rail...
- 01:19 TETANUS DEATH WAS AN ACCIDENT
- 01:08 White Crow's star dancer 'channelled' Rudolf Nureyev
- 01:08 Chandrashekhar Azad: The Indian Dalit leader challenging Modi