Patient safety threatened by stretched health services
BRITAIN’S health and social care services are stretched to the point where patient safety is at risk, a report out today reveals.
Care Quality Commission (CQC) investigators found that, on top of staff shortages, the NHS is having to cope with increasing numbers of people with preventable illnesses linked to unhealthy lifestyle choices, including obesity and heart disease.
The report praises the efforts of overstretched staff to maintain standards but says staff resilience is not inexhaustible.
It says 66 per cent of hospital A&E units are not performing well enough over safety.
As of... read more
- 03:06 Top police commander praises witnesses who helped victim in Asda...
- 00:14 Three arrested after shots fired in Leicester city centre
- 00:15 Multiple theories of how to tackle Carnoustie reach no firm conclusion
- 03:06 Labour celebrates victory in Besses by election
- 00:15 Graffiti gang who caused £77,000 worth of damage to trains across...
- 00:14 Youths go on smashing spree in Peterlee
- 00:14 REVIEW: Poptastic Steps wow crowds at Lytham Festival
- 00:14 Pizza, popcorn - Sleights pupils’ sleepover at school raises more...
- 00:14 Victim speaks out after sex attacker jailed for 23 years
- 00:14 New low for Northants as they are beaten by Derbyshire
- 00:14 Police make second arrest in Shaun Lyall death
- 00:14 Headteacher says councillors 'must do better' after branding his...
- 00:14 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news and travel
- 00:14 Steelbacks set to make more changes for Bears battle