Parents 'not involved' in new free schools
Parent groups have only been behind about one in five of the free schools that have been opened, say researchers.
The flagship policy, launched under the coalition government, was meant to bring innovation and more parental choice to schools in England.
But Sir Peter Lampl, chairman of the Sutton Trust, which carried out the free school study, said "very few are fulfilling that original purpose".
The Department for Education said free schools were raising standards.
The study, from the Sutton Trust social mobility charity and the National Foundation for Educational Research, says... read more
- 10:21 A-LEVELS: Impressive results at Louth Academy and Cordeaux
- 10:21 Outstanding results add up to an exciting future for CRGS pupils
- 10:20 Happy 130th birthday to Burnley and Pendle NSPCC branch!
- 10:20 15-year-old boy from Bradford charged with terrorism offences
- 10:20 Police want to trace these two men in connection with alleged theft...
- 10:20 Developer calls for council to release report and repeats legal...
- 10:20 Council praise for county’s sixth formers
- 10:19 Food and drink Voices: How can we future-proof food & drink in...
- 10:19 Scotch meat still top of the class
- 10:19 Can Blumhouse's political pod repeat Get Out's success? – podcasts...
- 10:19 Former Arsenal star Alan Smith explains why Mesut Ozil is Unai...
- 10:18 A-level joy for Heckmondwike Grammar School students
- 10:18 Developer calls for council to release report and repeats legal...
- 10:18 Council praise for county’s sixth formers
- 10:17 My life in sex: the 31-year-old who has never been kissed
- 10:17 Homes across Warwick district to get health check
- 10:17 Outstanding results add up to an exciting future for CRGS pupils
- 10:16 Lee Miller’s Nude Bent Forward: phallic curves from a pioneering...
- 10:16 Burnby Hall waterlilies talk
- 10:16 Diana Athill on VS Naipaul: ‘I worked very hard at keeping...
- 10:16 Artist's Aboriginal portraits back in Tasmania after 170 years
- 10:16 15-year-old boy from Bradford charged with terrorism offences
- 10:15 Stables Lane recreation area open for play
- 10:14 Understanding performance practice
- 10:14 Two children taken to Manchester Children’s Hospital after crash in...
- 10:14 Happy 130th birthday to Burnley and Pendle NSPCC branch!
- 10:13 GPs urge East Lancashire patients to use online appointment-booking...
- 10:13 Shocking moment East Coast Main Line workers run for lives as...
- 10:13 Joanna Dennehy 'believed to have attempted suicide in prison’
- 10:13 Preston North End new boy Andrew Hughes ready to seize his chance...