Pakistan election: Voters ignore risk of violence
PAKISTANIS thronged to the polls yesterday, despite a backdrop of violence, in a historic vote which pitted a former cricket star against a veteran prime minister and an unpopular incumbent.
• Pakistan: Polling day looms for historic election
• Pakistani housewife in historic election run
At least 22 people were killed in attacks by militants, underlining the risks faced by those who turned out to vote.
The violence was a continuation of what has been a bloody election campaign, with more than 130 people killed in bombings and shootings. Some observers are calling this one of the... read more
- 07:18 Police discover £200k cannabis farm in Doncaster
- 07:14 Police discover £200k cannabis farm in Doncaster
- 07:13 Hull Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 07:13 Defeinding champions Edinburgh still 1872 underdogs, says Cockerill
- 07:13 Listen out for changes in your date’s voice to see if they fancy you
- 07:10 Sheffield Wednesday Exclusive: I’ll tell you the truth at fans’...
- 07:09 Emergency pods 'useful tool' for rough sleeping, says charity
- 07:09 Boy died 14 years after being shaken as a baby leaving him with...
- 07:09 NSW excoriates federal Coalition over blocking of emissions...
- 07:05 Police issue national appeal for help to find missing Chinese...
- 07:03 Woman who broke back diving into swimming pool in Thailand getting...
- 07:03 Live updates: Traffic held on M1 due to a collision on A46 slip
- 07:02 Police issue national appeal for help to find missing Chinese...
- 07:02 Call to get involved in how your NHS works in Northumberland and...
- 06:59 Bank of England must reform to meet spending targets, says NAO
- 06:59 Wednesday’s weather is a mixed bag
- 06:55 Rotherham United threaten racist fans with lifetime ban
- 06:54 Rotherham United threaten racist fans with lifetime ban
- 06:52 Taxi drivers and hotel staff will be trained to help the fight...
- 06:52 Wednesday’s weather is a mixed bag
- 06:51 Wednesday’s weather is a mixed bag
- 06:48 Cleckheaton produce season’s best in derby triumph over Bees
- 06:46 Why Leeds is forefront of pioneering campaign to revolutionise...
- 06:46 Your View: Police performance
- 06:46 Have your say on city Clean Air Zone
- 06:44 Time to move on – young prisoners are taking the opportunity to...
- 06:44 Sheila Voas: Make sure you haven’t been sold a pup farmed by criminals
- 06:44 Why Birmingham may be a role model for Scottish cities – Chris McCall
- 06:44 Brexit: Theresa May is bending UK to her will – leader comment
- 06:44 Lockerbie anniversary: No reasonable tribunal could have convicted...