Overweight women face a greater risk of doctors missing their breast cancer tumour until it has become large – and should be screened more frequently, say experts
Women who are overweight or obese face an increased risk of doctors failing to detect their breast tumour until it has become large, new research has found.
Experts recommend that those with a higher Body Mass index (BMI) may need more frequent mammograms to help spot malignant growths sooner.
A team from Sweden discovered that women who were heavier were more likely to have a larger tumour when detected either at their mammogram or between screenings.
This might be because their breasts were larger and therefore the tumour was harder to find, said the study authors.
Another explanation... read more
- 07:54 Ayton Primary School roof repairs
- 07:53 Elon Musk was 'not on weed' when tweeting about taking Tesla private
- 07:53 Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea? Wes Brown makes bold title...
- 07:52 Messages advising smokers to 'make this your last pack' could be...
- 07:47 Cavendish Nuclear tests new mapping system
- 07:47 Every business in enterprise hub broken into an £40,000 worth of...
- 07:45 Angelina Jolie ‘lookalike’ reveals her most extreme look yet
- 07:45 Nearly 80 people collapse in single park from synthetic marijuana...
- 07:45 Cavendish Nuclear tests new mapping system
- 07:43 Sadiq Khan: London planners must prepare for no-deal Brexit
- 07:43 Earliest galaxies found 'on our cosmic doorstep'
- 07:40 Sheffield man in custody over attack in which kneecap and thigh...
- 07:40 Murder suspects due in court over stabbing of Sheffield dad-of-three
- 07:40 Stabbing victim fighting for life in hospital
- 07:40 Baby pulled alive from drain with umbilical cord wrapped around...
- 07:40 Tenant whose 'pap' inspired her to garden among winners of...
- 07:39 Bamber Bridge have a mental edge over this weekend’s opponents...
- 07:38 Stunning murals brighten up Carlisle railway station
- 07:38 Cutting out carbs could shorten your life, suggests study
- 07:37 Long M1 queues near Shepshed after lorry mounts central reservation
- 07:36 This is when Leeds will be hit by heavy downpours this weekend as...
- 07:31 Carlisle taxi driver banned from driving after writing off his car
- 07:21 Brave Bertie has another operation
- 07:21 Teething problems for new town parking restrictions
- 07:21 Stage is set for a vital makeover of theatre
- 07:20 Why this hassle over a travel insurance payment from Nationwide?
- 07:19 Shocking footage captures police officer hit by colleague’s van...
- 07:18 Family fuming when short flight to Birmingham Airport triggers 30...
- 07:18 The three big decisions Unai Emery must make ahead of Arsenal...
- 07:16 Fosse Park shoplifter pinches pens from WHSmith - then pelts staff...