Outsider art: what students can learn from self-taught artists
In 1939, former slave Bill Traylor was sitting on a box at the side of the road drawing when the artist Charles Shannon rode by on his horse. Touched by the pictures, Shannon supported Traylor and helped him exhibit his work. After his death, Traylor would become a significant figure of American folk and modern art – without a formal artistic education.
The study of art is becoming less common in the UK. Fewer than 19% of fine art graduates go on to work in an art or design-related field, and the number of students studying creative art degrees dropped by 17,000 between 2016 and 2017. Fine... read more
- 08:15 Danez Smith becomes youngest winner of Forward poetry prize
- 08:13 Shocking footage of huge fire tearing through Royalty Cinema in...
- 08:11 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 08:11 Broken down vehicle causing rush-hour delays on M1 in South Yorkshire
- 08:11 ‘Our five-year-old daughter waited two years for a cancer diagnosis...
- 08:10 TV presenter Denis Norden dies aged 96
- 08:10 Two hurt as car hits people near mosque on Edgware Road
- 08:09 Police close a section of A1 near Grantham after crash
- 08:09 School anniversary celebrations: Royd Nursery Infant and Deepcar...
- 08:08 'Premier front four, Unibond back three' - West Brom fans have...
- 08:07 No-deal Brexit to fuel £1,500 rise in cost of EU car in UK, says...
- 08:07 Sky Q customers can now get Netflix integrated into their service
- 08:07 Storm Ali batters Britain with 60mph winds and heavy rain
- 08:06 School anniversary celebrations: Royd Nursery Infant and Deepcar...
- 08:06 ‘Our five-year-old daughter waited two years for a cancer diagnosis...
- 08:05 It'll Be Alright On The Night host Denis Norden dies aged 96
- 08:05 What do the UK weather warnings mean and when does the Met Office...
- 08:03 China won't devalue yuan to boost exports, says Premier Li
- 08:03 Tesco opens first discount store to take on Lidl and Aldi
- 08:02 Broken down vehicle causing rush-hour delays on M1 in South Yorkshire
- 08:02 Storm Ali's 80mph 'danger to life' winds set to hit Scotland
- 08:02 Bacteria causes suspension of breast milk service
- 08:02 London violent crime to be tackled with new unit
- 07:59 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 07:58 Chelsea news: New Blues star’s impact is 'biggest since Jose...
- 07:58 Driving ban for man caught over alcohol limit
- 07:58 Liverpool news: Daniel Sturridge SLAMMED despite scoring in...
- 07:53 What is being done to tackle Calderdale's poor sport facilities and...
- 07:53 Owners’ despair at costly raids on Calderdale bar
- 07:53 Joint effort on adoption for five North-East councils