Orange turns purple: Australian scientists solve fruit mystery
What could cause a freshly sliced orange to suddenly turn purple?
Australian health authorities say they have solved a mystery that prompted much speculation earlier this month.
It began when a Brisbane woman, Neti Moffitt, asked for an investigation into why an orange - partially eaten by her son - had later changed colour.
Scientists have now revealed it was due to a natural reaction between the fruit and a sharpened knife. The orange did not pose a health risk, they added.
Stewart Carswell, Queensland Health's chief chemist, said "numerous tests" were conducted to determine the... read more
- 03:00 Axe-wielding man jailed following Derbyshire pub fight
- 02:27 This is the latest high street chain set to open a store in...
- 02:27 Who’s been sentenced at Northampton Magistrates’ Court
- 01:36 Tom Richmond: Dodging urgent questions on Universal Credit – Esther...
- 01:33 David Behrens: It takes a lot less than 20 minutes to demolish the...
- 01:31 David Behrens: It takes a lot less than 20 minutes to demolish the...
- 01:16 One Nigerian woman's mission to save Lagos beaches and turtles from...
- 01:15 The Yorkshire Post says: A shop window. The true value of...
- 01:15 The Yorkshire Post says: The national interest. One Yorkshire...
- 01:07 Birmingham wall collapse death families 'await answers'
- 01:07 Rose-coloured starling watchers descend on house near Norwich
- 01:04 Chelsea to thrash Man Utd, Wembley embarrassment, West Ham impress...
- 01:04 Chelsea vs Man United: Maurizio Sarri makes surprise admission...
- 01:03 Woman turns to Facebook to find a sperm donor
- 01:03 Chris Pine kept up Scottish accent after filming
- 01:03 Living outside Scottish cities 'saves money'
- 01:03 Jasmine Rook: Falmouth student and transgender campaigner took own...
- 01:03 Wrong-name Cambridge Half Marathon winner can re-apply
- 00:57 LINCS LEAGUE: Fixtures
- 00:57 Facebook fake review factories uncovered by Which? investigation
- 00:57 The People’s Vote march: when, where and why it is happening
- 00:52 Fake moon: Could China really light up the night sky?
- 00:52 Mission to Mercury: BepiColombo spacecraft ready for launch
- 00:47 Two men charged with murder after death of man in Battersea
- 00:26 Talking Horses: Blinkered Cracksman remains a serious threat at Ascot
- 00:17 Killer sudoku 628
- 00:17 Sudoku 4196 hard
- 00:14 When do the clocks change and why do they go back every year?
- 00:13 Light party set to return with bishop
- 23:56 Ian Tomlin: Murder charges over Battersea father's death