One in three Universal Credit claimants in Derbyshire are in employment
Hundreds of workers in Derbyshire are claiming Universal Credit as their low wages are not enough to live on.
Charities say that the “shocking” number of in-work applicants is due to low wages and housing costs.
According to Department for Work and Pensions figures, there were 416 employed claimants in Derby on Universal Credit in July 2018 - about 33% of the total.
Overall, there were 1,265 people on Universal Credit in Derbyshire, 25 fewer than in the previous month.
Universal Credit is a new benefit, slowly being rolled out by the Government, which replaces six legacy benefits and merges... read more
- 13:46 Live updates as traffic stopped in both directions on M42 after...
- 13:46 Ibiza holidaymaker needs your help finding Midlands beautician...
- 13:45 Gales and heavy rain on way as two new weather warnings issued...
- 13:45 Weather warning for severe winds issued for Banbury by the Met Office
- 13:44 Free drams for Edinburgh's Hogmanay revellers under new sponsorship...
- 13:44 Police investigating reports of man performing lewd acts in Chesham...
- 13:44 Inmate ‘on the run’ is arrested by police
- 13:44 Tesco reveals discount store Jack's to take on Aldi and Lidl
- 13:44 Smart motorway ‘costing lives’ claims lorry driver
- 13:43 Matteo Salvini sues black MEP for defamation in racism row
- 13:43 Millionaire who live-streamed child sex abuse jailed for just...
- 13:42 Anglian Water reveals all about £653,000 sewer upgrade in Horncastle
- 13:39 Smart motorway ‘costing lives’ claims lorry driver
- 13:39 Major milestone reached to transform Halifax town centre
- 13:38 Storm Ali's high winds topple large tree closing road in Hurley
- 13:37 New lifeline offered to local ex-military in Wigan
- 13:37 Transgender teen to admit murdering parents who ‘refused to accept...
- 13:36 May's Brexit hopes rest on 10 minutes after dinner in Salzburg
- 13:36 Album reviews: Paul Weller | Jungle | Willie Nelson
- 13:36 Communities blooming with pride
- 13:35 Woman sexually assaulted in Fleetwood car park
- 13:33 Sadio Mane reveals the text message he sent Liverpool striker...
- 13:33 Chesterfield's economy enjoys £175million boost thanks to record...
- 13:32 The 10 things you should know about breast cancer right from the...
- 13:32 Storm Ali in Cumbria travel disruption: M6 at Carlisle closed after...
- 13:32 Storm Ali: Trees down, roads closed and 4,000 homes without power
- 13:30 Former Fylde councillor will spend three months on an electronic...
- 13:30 Body of man found in alleyway
- 13:30 Shoplifting menace banned from entering Sunderland shopping centres...
- 13:30 Woman grabbed and robbed in Corby