One in three Universal Credit claimants in Derbyshire are in employment
Hundreds of workers in Derbyshire are claiming Universal Credit as their low wages are not enough to live on.
Charities say that the “shocking” number of in-work applicants is due to low wages and housing costs.
According to Department for Work and Pensions figures, there were 416 employed claimants in Derby on Universal Credit in July 2018 - about 33% of the total.
Overall, there were 1,265 people on Universal Credit in Derbyshire, 25 fewer than in the previous month.
Universal Credit is a new benefit, slowly being rolled out by the Government, which replaces six legacy benefits and merges... read more
- 17:06 Calling North Kirklees business owners! We want to tell your story!
- 17:04 BINNED: Kingdom litter squad are KICKED OUT of Liverpool for good
- 17:04 Ex-UBS trader Kweku Adoboli being deported
- 17:03 Attempted child abductions: Police speaking to three men
- 17:03 STRICTLY IN BLACKPOOL: Iconic show heads to the Pleasure Beach
- 17:02 Men ‘doused supermarket in petrol before setting it alight in...
- 17:02 WhatsApp’s next update could change the way you ask people out on...
- 17:02 Lisa takes Nepal cycle challenge
- 17:01 Man Utd news: Gary Neville slams £50m signing: ‘Does he change a...
- 17:01 Skegness butchers are a ‘cut above’ the rest after winning UK...
- 16:58 How to flip a coin if you don't have a coin
- 16:56 Liverpool news: Virgil van Dijk makes transfer promise amid...
- 16:55 Critically acclaimed MGMT prepare to play Leeds show
- 16:56 Rail strike - here is how and when you can travel this weekend
- 16:55 Liversedge suffer County Cup exit
- 16:55 Calling North Kirklees business owners! We want to tell your story!
- 16:55 North Somercotes pupil bags limited edition diamond Blue Peter Badge
- 16:55 Starter pack charity for disadvantaged mums and babies...
- 16:55 Tony Blair condemns ‘pointless Brexit in name only – the worst of...
- 16:54 Taskforce warns of risk to children from 'county lines' gangs
- 16:54 Claudio Ranieri fastens in for Premier League homecoming at Fulham
- 16:54 European Tour’s chief executive remains bullish as headaches mount
- 16:54 Accounts clerk caught drink driving
- 16:53 Dad's burger van destroyed hours after text accuses partner of...
- 16:53 Rail strike - here is how and when you can travel this weekend
- 16:52 Calling North Kirklees business owners! We want to tell your story!
- 16:52 Accounts clerk caught drink driving
- 16:52 'The worst we've seen since 2010' - why lawns and parks around...
- 16:51 Chance to meet Santa at the Retford Christmas lights switch on
- 16:50 Worksop residents are getting ready for this year’s Christmas...