One in 25 children aged 10 or 11 'severely obese'
One in 25 children in England aged 10 or 11 are severely obese, new analysis has found.
Height and weight measurements show the number of children classed as severely overweight rose from 15,000 in reception to 22,000 by the time they leave primary school.
The Local Government Association, which analysed Public Health England figures, said action was urgently needed.
The government insisted its childhood obesity plan was "comprehensive".
The weight and height of all children in England is measured when they start and leave primary school, under the government's national child... read more
- 13:17 Measles warning as European cases reach eight-year high
- 13:17 Benjamin Mendy dials back on phone use at Pep Guardiola’s urging
- 13:17 F1 briefing: Alonso backs Sainz, Gasly to replace Ricciardo
- 13:17 Hull man missing after Wakefield visit
- 13:16 Square Chapel in £65k Lottery windfall
- 13:16 Islamic State survivor Nadia Murad engaged to Yazidi activist
- 13:16 Mansfield police want to speak to these three young men
- 13:16 Doncaster Wildlife Park set to feature in new Channel 5 show
- 13:15 When good TV goes bad: how Community’s fourth series failed to make...
- 13:11 Have your say on health and well-being strategy for Northumberland
- 13:10 Teenage Fanclub to part ways with founding member Gerard Love
- 13:10 Labour condemns 'sickening' Lehman Brothers reunion party
- 13:09 Wolves linked with another Portuguese international on Jorge...
- 13:08 Harry Maguire could succeed at Manchester United, says Jonny Evans
- 13:08 Perfume thief jailed after taking scents worth £600
- 13:07 Venezuela prepares to devalue currency, amid fears it may worsen...
- 13:07 EU says Greece can 'finally turn the page' as bailout ends
- 13:07 Francis Ford Coppola agrees Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves might be...
- 13:06 Huge £4.8m transformation plans for Beverley Racecourse revealed
- 13:05 Paul Pogba warns Spurs: Man Utd are 'mad' and will use anger as...
- 13:04 Solutions for Nacer Chadli & Craig Dawson - West Brom's tasks...
- 13:03 Have your say on local policing issues in Aylesbury
- 13:03 Interview: Penelope Skinner tackles male chauvinism in Angry Alan
- 13:01 Gary Amer death: Pensioner 'stabbed tradesman 30 times'
- 13:00 How long it's taking council to replace your broken wheelie bins
- 12:59 Watch major milestone in Halifax Borough Market restoration
- 12:58 Manchester United board still have full faith in Jose Mourinho...
- 12:58 'Like a squirrel that's been drip-fed an espresso' Coventry fans...
- 12:57 Liverpool mum killed in crash named as family say she'll be in...
- 12:56 New president at the helm for Melton Belvoir Rotary Club