One child has a rotten tooth pulled out every 10 minutes: Government hopes sugar tax on soft drinks will be effective after 60,000 children needed teeth extracted last year
A child has a rotten tooth removed every ten minutes in England’s hospitals, shocking figures reveal.
More than 60,000 children had teeth extracted in hospital last year – the equivalent to 141 operations per school day.
It was the biggest single cause of hospital admissions for five to nine-year-olds, who accounted for more than 42 per cent of cases.
The figures, released by Public Health England, come as the sugar tax finally takes effect today.
The tax is a levy on soft drinks manufacturers of 18p per litre for drinks containing 5g of sugar per 100ml and 24p on those with 8g per 100ml.... read more
- 08:40 Nakkiah Lui on gender, race and her new comedy show: ‘What if your...
- 08:40 Sharp Objects recap: season one, episode three – Fix
- 08:39 Rich countries pushing 'dirty energy' in Africa, report claims
- 08:39 One Nation candidate sold debt-laden company to Irish novice...
- 08:39 Japan heatwave prompts concern over conditions for 2020 Olympics
- 08:39 Toronto shooting: woman and gunman dead, 13 injured in Danforth...
- 08:39 Justine Damond: family of Australian shot dead by policeman to file...
- 08:39 Greece and Russia trade barbs in worsening war of words
- 08:39 Three men arrested over acid attack on three-year-old boy
- 08:39 Play shines light on Trojan Horse 'Islamist plot' to run schools
- 08:39 Two quarks for Muster Higgs
- 08:39 Trevor Noah responds to boycott calls over racist joke about...
- 08:39 Monday’s best TV: Storyville: Insha’Allah Democracy; Give It a Year
- 08:39 'Twaddle': librarians respond to suggestion Amazon should replace...
- 08:39 Tim Minchin lands new TV series Upright: 'The show I've been...
- 08:39 David Bowie's first demo track discovered in old bread basket
- 08:39 I'm a bisexual woman who has met a lovely man – but I can’t have...
- 08:39 Diana Penny: Scotland’s tourism and travel businesses are booming
- 08:38 10,000 customers move to ‘democratic’ energy firm
- 08:38 Plan early and avoid debit cards: how to get the most from holiday...
- 08:38 Brian Monteith: A new party offers no guarantees of reversing...
- 08:39 Loris Karius hits back at Liverpool fans who mocked him for...
- 08:38 Leader comment: Turbulent times may demand change
- 08:38 Why didn’t my Eames chairs come up to the mark?
- 08:38 Lesley Riddoch: Brexit puts our fruit farmers in a jam
- 08:39 Jose Mourinho fires warning to Anthony Martial after Chelsea...
- 08:38 Communities could lose out on broadband and mobile coverage
- 08:39 Brazil far-right politician enters presidential race
- 08:38 Wheelchair access row over 100 rail stations
- 08:39 Iker Casillas launches staunch defence of under-fire Liverpool...