On the warpath: Scotland’s 39 key battlefields
AFTER three years of work, a new inventory of Scotland's battlefields has been unveiled by Historic Scotland.
Eleven sites deemed to be of significant historical and archaeological value were added to the list yesterday, bringing the total of Scotland’s Inventory of Historic Battlefields to 39.
Inclusion offers the battlefields a level of protection, with local authorities forced to consider the significance of any site when developments are planned.
The first 17 to be put on the inventory were announced in December 2010, and 11 were added in December last year.
The 11 announced yesterday... read more
- 02:04 Pay FTSE 100 CEOs jumps to almost £4 million
- 01:58 Replacement for Daventry warehouse burnt to ground recommended for...
- 01:57 Thibaut Courtois set to miss Real Madrid’s Super Cup clash with...
- 01:39 'Crisis point': New Zealand hit by primary school teacher strike
- 01:36 Inverleith backs hemp-based food and drinks firm
- 01:29 How the humble cabbage can stop cancers
- 01:16 Andrea Jenkyns: Malaria-free world will boost economies
- 01:14 Sergio Ramos hits back at Cristiano Ronaldo over his dig at...
- 01:10 Whitburn GP Thair Altaii jailed for secretly filming women
- 01:10 Camper dies after tree falls on tent in Cornwall
- 01:10 Limited edition Macallan whisky sale leads to road closure
- 01:10 School exclusion of autistic boy unlawful, judge rules
- 00:59 Illinois sues Trump Tower over Chicago River water use
- 00:57 Sudoku 4139 medium
- 00:52 Bernard Ingham: Does Boris Johnson have what it takes to be our...
- 00:47 Andrea Jenkyns: Malaria-free world will boost economies
- 00:47 GP Taylor: State must step in to give rural areas transport
- 00:43 Madonna at 60: The Queen of Pop in seven charts
- 00:33 India-Pakistan pen pals write their own history
- 00:33 BBC reporter's terrifying days amid Taliban assault on Ghazni
- 00:33 Viewpoint: Chinese mosque standoff risks peace in model Muslim...
- 00:32 Government accused of 'total failure' to widen elite university access
- 00:31 Bamford scores first goal for Leeds United in Carabao Cup win over...
- 00:30 Why single Nigerian women battle to rent homes
- 00:28 Lost in translation
- 00:28 Britain’s defiance
- 00:27 FBI warns cash machine global cyber-attack imminent
- 00:25 MPs widely condemn Fraser Anning's 'final solution' speech
- 00:25 'Mum, I was tricked': my daughter, the Kim Jong-nam murder suspect
- 00:24 America's future doctors are skipping school in favor of online...