'On a hot day, it's horrific': Alabama kicks up a stink over shipments of New York poo
New York City is the beating heart of global finance, a cultural behemoth, and home to more than 8.5 million people who create an enormous amount of poo. Some of this expelled waste has been causing a major stink 900 miles away, in Alabama.
Residents in and near Birmingham have been in uproar over sewage that is transported by train and truck from New York and New Jersey to be dumped in the southern state.
The treated sewage – euphemistically known in the industry as “biosolids” – has plagued residents with a terrible stench, flies and concerns that spilled sludge has leaked into... read more
- 21:40 James Fowler discusses Jack Ross partnership and their Premier...
- 21:40 Coach Mathers opts for St Johnstone stay ahead of Sunderland
- 21:39 Abuse victim bravely shares photos after campaign of violence from ex
- 21:38 New York gay pride parade marches toward 50th year with new purpose
- 21:22 Who won what at the 2018 Cheshire West Community and Voluntary Arts...
- 21:22 Chester curry house owner has jail term cut following £93k VAT fraud
- 21:20 Liverpool man said to be laying low in Amsterdam has been on the...
- 21:19 This is how long the scorching weather and temperatures will last...
- 21:15 Jesse Lingard laughs off Panama bruisers to help England find their...
- 21:15 Colombia’s triple hammer blow dumps Poland out of World Cup
- 21:14 Video: People take to the streets for Anti-Brexit march in Perth
- 21:10 Airbus Brexit remarks criticised by senior Conservative MP
- 21:08 Erdoğan claims victory in Turkish presidential election
- 21:01 James Rodriguez returns to resurrect Colombia as England dream of...
- 21:01 Barrow set to sizzle as temperatures rise this week
- 21:01 Finn Balor, John Cena or Shinsuke Nakamura – who should The...
- 21:00 Family tribute as retired British couple, 74 and 71, 'murdered' in...
- 20:57 Scottish gin maker snubs £80k investment from Dragons' Den tycoon
- 20:56 Spain can take nothing for granted against Morocco, says Busquets
- 20:55 Crash involving child in South Yorkshire prompts police appeal
- 20:55 Huge plumes of smoke seen across Merseyside as large fire breaks out
- 20:53 The parts of Birmingham where the gender pay gap is at its biggest
- 20:53 These are the top-earning degrees to study for Birmingham students
- 20:53 Ant's estranged wife Lisa Armstrong used his new lover as 'a skivvy'
- 20:53 Brits warned over halloumi shortage - and some are 'heartbroken'
- 20:53 How safe ten of the most popular apps are for children revealed -...
- 20:53 Robberies, queues for the Pink and when the mills shut - how...
- 20:36 Woman feeds family on reduced food for a week - here's what she...
- 20:30 Secret life of a swinger exposed as club shows off orgy bed, hot...
- 20:26 Trump calls for deportations without judicial process