Oldest tree in Brum - 500 sign petition to save it
More than 500 people have signed a petition calling for the city centre’s oldest tree to be saved from the axe.
They sprang into action after the Birmingham Mail revealed that the 140-year-old London Plane Tree on Centenary Square is due to be chopped down when work starts on the Midlands Metro tram extension.
Click to play Tap to play The Live Event you are trying to watch is either unavailable or has not started Please refresh this page in your browser to reload this live event video
The tree is the last of 99 planted on Broad Street in 1876 and has survived through a series of major... read more
- 19:34 Watch Katy Perry meet fans beside the Clyde in Glasgow ahead of...
- 19:33 New driver overtakes learner - and almost runs over man on zebra...
- 19:32 Two very different visions of Labour foreign policy
- 19:31 View from the Zoo: Birthday joy for zoo’s two red pandas
- 19:26 DUP leader Arlene Foster attends first Gaelic football final in...
- 19:26 Model shares remarkable photo of recovery after acid attack horror...
- 19:24 Retired British couple found dead in Jamaica
- 19:24 'A money-making machine': families struggle to pay Home Office charges
- 19:23 ‘In a dream world’ – England fans in Nizhny Novogorod react to...
- 19:23 Socceroos' time of transition sees baton pass from Cahill to Arzani
- 19:23 County cricket talking points: Surrey go top thanks to supreme Pope
- 19:23 Gareth Southgate: ‘We wouldn’t swap Harry Kane for anyone’
- 19:23 Wallabies prove 'tactically inept' against smarter Ireland
- 19:19 View from the Zoo: Birthday joy for zoo’s two red pandas
- 19:19 Leicester salutes services personnel at Armed Forces Day event
- 19:18 Antonia Syson obituary
- 19:18 Michael Banton obituary
- 19:13 England’s odds to win World Cup slashed after Panama thrashing
- 19:12 Man Utd transfer news: Jose Mourinho bins Alex Sandro plans, La...
- 19:12 Everton transfer news: FOUR set to follow Ramiro Funes Mori out as...
- 19:03 The slums of Hull: Starving families, people covered in filth and...
- 19:03 Mali Fula villagers were killed 'in cold blood'
- 19:03 'I still feel mutilated': victims of disgraced gynaecologist Emil...
- 19:01 View from the Zoo: Birthday joy for zoo’s two red pandas
- 18:59 Body found in search for missing Northumberland man
- 18:50 Britons Charlie and Gayle Anderson murdered in Jamaica
- 18:50 UK's 'most patriotic' street gets bunting out again for England
- 18:48 Egypt star Mohamed Salah considers retirement from...
- 18:48 Air ambulance called after serious road accident in Chesterfield
- 18:42 Liverpool transfer news: Lyon president speaks out on Nabil Fekir...