Obesity could be tackled with soup
A diet which replaces food with soups and shakes can help obese people achieve significant sustained weight loss, it has been claimed.
UK patients with a BMI over 30, who ate just 810 calories per day, lost an average of almost 11kg in one year, according to a study published in journal BMJ.
The researchers, from the University of Oxford, suggest total diet replacement programmes should be recommended by doctors and could ease pressure on GPs treating obesity-related illness.
The trial involved 278 obese adults in Oxfordshire, who were split into two groups.
The first were enrolled on a GP... read more
- 13:37 St Helens house prices up by 1.2% in October
- 13:35 Ofsted: Trust has ‘restored faith’ in Somercotes school
- 13:35 Officers concerned for safety of missing Nottinghamshire nine-year-old
- 13:35 How Daniel Levy plans to persuade Mauricio Pochettino to snub...
- 13:33 Officers concerned for safety of missing Nottinghamshire nine-year-old
- 13:32 Why the battle to fix Europe's fisheries policy isn't over yet
- 13:31 Serial Sunderland rapist Omar Sharif jailed for more than 32 YEARS
- 13:31 Paul Whitelaw’s Christmas TV survival guide
- 13:29 These are the chemists which are open over Christmas and New Year...
- 13:28 Sales of unofficial Yorkshire passport ‘have soared’
- 13:28 Illegal alcohol and cigarettes seized in Lincolnshire will power homes
- 13:28 Man remains in police custody after woman died at home in Bradford
- 13:27 Don Your Way Column: Christmas: Peace and goodwill or tantrums and...
- 13:26 'Society has a duty to help poor students': university leaders on...
- 13:24 Unilever joins meat-free revolution after buying The Vegetarian...
- 13:23 This young girl won't have a present to open this Christmas after...
- 13:23 Cyclist in hospital after hit-and-run in Sheffield
- 13:22 Officers concerned for safety of missing Nottinghamshire nine-year-old
- 13:22 Christmas quiz: Put your festive knowledge to the test
- 13:22 Man Utd news: Lorenzo Pellegrini odds-on to follow Ole Gunnar...
- 13:22 Arsenal news: £54m Under eyed, ‘defensive surgery’ in January,...
- 13:21 Cyclist in hospital after hit-and-run in Sheffield
- 13:21 All I want for Christmas is a UK that is safe for trans children...
- 13:21 Man remains in police custody after woman died at home in Bradford
- 13:21 Jackets left on lampposts in Inverness for homeless
- 13:21 Illegal alcohol and cigarettes seized in Lincolnshire will power homes
- 13:19 Chargers lead Pro Bowl selections as Tom Brady ties Manning's NFL...
- 13:19 Robert Snodgrass visits cancer-suffering fan, 4, in Spain hospital...
- 13:18 Film review: Mary Poppins Returns
- 13:18 Dai Young reveals when Wasps' player retention wheels will be set...