Number of rape charges at lowest level for 10 years
The number of people charged with rape in England and Wales has fallen to its lowest level in a decade.
Crown Prosecution Service data shows 2,800 suspects investigated for rape in 2017/18 were later charged - a 23.1% decline compared with 2016/17.
Alison Saunders, director of public prosecutions at the CPS, said offenders were being brought to justice "wherever possible".
But sexual violence charity Rape Crisis said the trend was "deeply troubling".
A record number of cases - more than 1,300 - were "administratively finalised", meaning police stopped their... read more
- 14:20 Sheffield rock climber speaks out against fracking
- 14:20 Firefighters tackle blaze at Sheffield flat block
- 14:14 How much do you remember about Hull's lost shops - take our test to...
- 14:13 Two dead in horror smashes on same Yorkshire road this weekend
- 14:11 Can you spot yourself in our Chesterfield Half Marathon round-up
- 14:10 Grandmother killed after gas explosion ripped through flat named
- 14:09 Rugby star swarmed by armed cops after picking up royal at boozy...
- 14:08 Love Island Scot Laura Anderson moves on from ex by snogging...
- 14:08 Honduran migrant caravan crosses into Mexico through river
- 14:07 This is what Alan Pardew had to say about his time at West Brom
- 14:07 David Beckham reveals real reason he was absent from Victoria's...
- 14:07 Ant McPartlin's ex-wife Lisa Armstrong 'ignores legal warning' by...
- 14:05 Shock scenes as two cars and bus in horror city centre smash in...
- 14:03 The two starred Michelin chef on a mission in Yorkshire
- 14:01 Buxton reunion of former Silverlands Secondary School for Girls pupils
- 13:59 Leeds biker one of two dead in horror smashes on A65 in North...
- 13:56 The 5 people who have been in court in Hull this week
- 13:54 Gary Neville reacts to Jose Mourinho touchline bust-up with Chelsea...
- 13:54 Video shows moment floor collapses injuring at least 30 people at...
- 13:51 Three top award nominations for fashion retailer
- 13:50 Theresa May faces rebellion from Scottish MPs over Brexit extension
- 13:49 The importance of teamwork in sport
- 13:44 Ferry with 56 aboard runs aground after crashing into yachts in...
- 13:43 Beefing up confidence in Adderbury’s eco-friendly meat
- 13:42 Ant McPartlin’s ex Lisa Armstrong faces legal action if she attacks...
- 13:39 Lincolnshire’s most dangerous junctions revealed
- 13:39 Ditching nuclear arms treaty would be 'dangerous step', Russia...
- 13:38 Girl, 6, saves mum’s life by telling teacher ‘my daddy is hurting...
- 13:37 48 pictures of new school starters in east Hull primary schools
- 13:36 Roger Federer targets new record as he seeks return to form in Basel