Number of minor offenders escaping prosecution doubles
The number of people escaping prosecution for minor offences has more than doubled since 2010-11, new figures have revealed.
Last year, prosecutors referred 1,980 people to criminal justice social work teams as part of their “diversion from prosecution” scheme, rather than taking them to court, up from 958 in 2010-11.
Scottish Government figures which revealed the rise also showed about two-thirds (67.5 per cent) of community payback orders (CPOs) were successfully completed in 2016-17 - down from 71.7 per cent three years ago.
Scottish Conservatives said that meant more than 6,000... read more
- 02:49 'Absurd, crazy': Trump discussed allowing Putin to interrogate US...
- 02:49 Turkey ends state of emergency after two years
- 02:49 Child sex abuse inquiry fined £200,000 after email blunder
- 02:49 'Nothing short of treason': US voters on the Trump-Putin summit
- 02:49 UNAids chief refuses to quit over handling of sexual misconduct claims
- 02:49 Protests spread through cities in Iraq's oil-rich Shia south
- 02:49 Spain to introduce ‘yes means yes’ sexual consent law
- 02:49 Life before Google: What was it like?
- 02:49 Trump administration hit with lawsuits over inhumane treatment of...
- 02:48 What to take to a festival: Friends, drink... and a giant bar chart
- 02:49 Turkey's state of emergency ends but crackdown continues
- 02:48 The Sheffield estate where the garage has become an art gallery
- 02:49 Zuckerberg defends Facebook users' right to be wrong – even...
- 02:49 Maria Butina: accused spy was in contact with Russian intelligence,...
- 02:48 Heatwave: Is there more crime in hot weather?
- 02:48 Home alone: 'It made me feel that I was unloved'
- 02:49 Trump blames Putin personally for election meddling in latest reversal
- 02:49 Campaigners criticise delay in updating sex education curriculum
- 02:49 VAR a ‘fair way away’ from being used in Football League games
- 02:49 UNC coach says softening of football could bring down America and...
- 02:48 Five charts describe the UK's sensible youth
- 02:49 Teen's limb SEVERED after becoming trapped swimming in Laguna...
- 02:49 Anthony Joshua says he would rather lose than take drugs
- 02:49 Routine treatment for cardiac arrest doubles risk of brain damage –...
- 02:48 Fortnite: Schools 'could learn lessons from gaming'
- 02:49 Book sales skyrocket but authors report shrinking incomes
- 02:48 The robot chemist that does its own research
- 02:49 Arthur C Clarke award goes to 'classic' novel exploring the limits...
- 02:49 Singer Paul Young goes on This Morning despite show's chef Gino...
- 02:49 Two Love Island favourites unexpectedly QUIT the villa and walk out...