Number detained under mental health act in Scotland at record levels
Human rights concerns have been raised after new figures revealed that the number of people in Scotland being compulsorily detained under the Mental Health Act has risen to its highest level since the legislation was introduced in 2003.
The biggest rise (10 per cent) was in emergency detention certificates, used in crisis situations to detain a person who needs urgent care or treatment for mental ill health.
The certificates, which allow someone to be kept in hospital for up to 72 hours, can be issued by any doctor but the Act stipulates there should also be consent from a specialist mental... read more
- 08:55 Victory propels Erdoğan into elite club of strongman leaders
- 08:54 Public help police to chase down wanted Doncaster man
- 08:54 Amber Valley Soroptimists’ fashion fundraiser
- 08:54 Careers Day proves a hit at Sherburn
- 08:53 Deer 'stuck' in River Soar prompts 4 fire engines into action
- 08:53 Aston Villa step up preparations for the 2018/19 campaign
- 08:53 This is why there are no World Cup fan zones in Birmingham
- 08:53 This is where released goalkeeper Boaz Myhill could pitch up after...
- 08:51 Gossip: West Ham’s Wilshere concern?
- 08:51 Yorkshire QCs warn justice system is at ‘breaking point’
- 08:51 Uruguay team news: Predicted Uruguay line up vs Russia – Key...
- 08:51 Lord Inglewood named as new chairman of Cumbria LEP
- 08:51 Man arrested after alleged handgun incident in town centre
- 08:50 Child airlifted to hospital with head injuries after cliff fall
- 08:49 Lord Inglewood named as new chairman of Cumbria LEP
- 08:48 As Federer and Djokovic lose, what’s the state of play for Wimbledon?
- 08:48 Amber Valley Soroptimists’ fashion fundraiser
- 08:48 Dog attacks 'major concern' for postal workers after 2,300...
- 08:48 Lancashire County Council u-turn after unions force cuts rethink
- 08:46 Dog attacks 'major concern' for postal workers after 2,300...
- 08:45 This is why there are no World Cup matches being played this Friday
- 08:45 Major survey of Solihull's roads for £2 million safety projects
- 08:44 Public help police to chase down wanted Doncaster man
- 08:44 Timber causing disruption for M62 users on morning commute in Leeds
- 08:44 Single first-time buyers need over a decade to raise a deposit -...
- 08:43 Man Utd transfer news: Mourinho ‘wants rid’ of midfielder to seal...
- 08:43 Public help police to chase down wanted Doncaster man
- 08:43 Timber causing disruption for M62 users on morning commute in Leeds
- 08:43 Sheffield among worst places in country for dog attacks on postal...
- 08:42 Lancashire County Council u-turn after unions force cuts rethink