North East’s place in the day which changed history for women
One hundred years ago today, British women won the vote.
The Representation of the People Act was passed on February 6, 1918, giving women the vote provided they were aged over 30 and either they, or their husband, met a property qualification.
It followed a long, hard struggle by suffragettes up and down the country who would stop at almost nothing to get their voices heard.
They chained themselves to railings, went on hunger strike and were regularly arrested and jailed.
The North East has its own suffragette – Emily Wilding Davison.
Emily was born on October 11, 1872, at Blackheath, near... read more
- 20:54 Schoolchildren hold protest to help reduce Sheffield's air pollution
- 05:49 Man denies drink driving charge
- 06:02 Grieving mum's shock after her son is buried in wrong grave in...
- 20:54 Shocked neighbours describe hearing three shots as man fatally...
- 06:02 Swadlincote criminal jailed after string of offences
- 06:02 The Alton Towers tips, tricks and hacks you need to know before you go
- 20:54 Emergency services deal with crash on important Carlisle road
- 20:54 Dalton teenager fined for possessing cannabis
- 20:54 Amazon customers warned of scam emails
- 20:54 Sky takes on Netflix and Amazon with cheaper streaming
- 20:54 Two tonnes cocaine seized off Cornwall is one of the largest ever...
- 05:49 'Trade war a reality' French finance minister warns
- 05:51 Liam Boyce and Burton Albion can 'sharpen up' after Aston Villa defeat
- 20:54 Dog-owner sparks danger warning from vet after finding rat poison...
- 20:54 YP Letters: Cyclists’ behaviour ruining joys of countryside
- 05:51 Euan McColm: Barnier rebuff should shut Boris’s cakehole
- 20:54 Eden Food & Farming Festival kicks off week of festivities with...
- 20:54 Little Hull girl writes to Santa asking him not to give her any...
- 05:49 This week shows you can NEVER write off Joe Anderson - but will he...
- 06:02 Forza Horizon 4: map, trailers and release date
- 20:54 Man arrested after crash in South Yorkshire leaves 24-year-old...
- 20:54 Work starts on improving village centre
- 05:49 Firefighters tackle Hathersage fire
- 05:51 Nostalgia: Do you recognise these Louth dancers?
- 06:02 The unbelievable reason why a driver abandoned their car on the M1...
- 20:54 121 killed in Greek air crash
- 20:54 Parking officer ‘waits for drivers to leave car park before giving...
- 05:49 How Netflix went from pioneer to powerhouse
- 05:51 Shadow ‘sensible’ party in bid to ambush Brexit
- 20:54 Disbelief as Northern cancellations see 400 per cent spike in one...