‘No jobs at risk’ but more strikes hit trains
DAYS after they swallowed the biggest fare rise for five years, rail commuters across Yorkshire awoke yesterday to a week of cancellations and crushes as staff staged the first of three 24-hour walk-outs in a continuing dispute over the roles of guards.
Northern Rail said it was running around 1,350 services – more than half its usual timetable – with a similar service planned for tomorrow and Friday.
But the strike meant that many rush hour and evening services did not operate yesterday, leaving standing room only on those that remained.
The government has insisted that no jobs are under... read more
- 16:27 Vladimir Putin arrives to meet Donald Trump an hour late
- 16:27 Wanstead Flats fire: Crews 'praying for rain' amid heatwave
- 21:44 Arsenal transfer news: Unai Emery targets one more signing but...
- 16:27 There will be no second Brexit referendum ‘under any...
- 16:27 Daughters in legal bid for House of Lords seat rights
- 21:44 Arsenal News: £35m N’Zonzi transfer claim, free agent Meyer eyed,...
- 19:36 Coronation Street's Ryan Thomas 'signs six-figure deal' for...
- 16:27 Cyber bullies target girl, 10, in ‘ugly or not’ Instagram poll
- 23:15 Tee to Green: Europe needs an Open winner
- 21:44 Cristiano Ronaldo: Juventus star makes admission about Barcelona’s...
- 16:27 Driver avoids decapitation by inches after metal railing...
- 21:44 Liverpool transfer news: THREE more deals could follow Xherdan...
- 23:09 Mum reveals how to make money off all your old shopping receipts
- 23:15 Russell Knox ready to reset for Carnoustie after Gullane...
- 21:44 Man Utd transfer news: Real Madrid ‘demand’ Romelu Lukaku in...
- 23:15 Fleetwood’s course record “irrelevant” for a baked out Carnoustie
- 23:15 Jordan Spieth reluctantly returns the Claret Jug
- 21:44 Arsenal transfer news: Seven players the Gunners should try to sign...
- 19:35 SEC events and concert hub in Glasgow set for major expansion as...
- 16:26 China files complaint to WTO over Trump's $200bn tariff plan
- 16:27 The five big Brexit tests threatening Theresa May’s premiership
- 16:27 Migration from EU to UK lowest for four years, ONS figures show
- 21:44 Arsenal transfer news: Sky Sports pundit hails potential £35m...
- 18:51 DNA clinic used by Jeremy Kyle Show opens in Glasgow
- 16:26 The smart office: how to remain human in our high-tech world
- 16:27 Man forced to live in car to escape violent and controlling girlfriend
- 16:27 Richard Bacon out of coma and tweets 'I am alive'
- 22:18 Soutar not surprised at Brandon Stone’s sudden emergence
- 18:51 Napier sees course get trade body green light
- 21:44 Liverpool transfer news: Xherdan Shaqiri transfer will spark THREE...