Night blindness led Johnny to lead a double life
As a child, Johnny Gardener led a double life.
By day, he was active and sport loving – but once night fell he would cling on to his aunt’s hand when he could not see clearly.
Johnny, now 60, has retinitis pigmentosa (RP). It causes night blindness, affects his peripheral vision and can lead to tunnel vision.
His aunt raised him after his mum died.
“She tried to shelter me from the worst of it,” he recalls. “I wore glasses at four, at 12 I found out I had RP.
“There was a lot of pretence on my part. Mates thought me short sighted. But you can only walk into a lamp post so many times before... read more
- 03:00 Axe-wielding man jailed following Derbyshire pub fight
- 02:27 This is the latest high street chain set to open a store in...
- 02:27 Who’s been sentenced at Northampton Magistrates’ Court
- 01:36 Tom Richmond: Dodging urgent questions on Universal Credit – Esther...
- 01:33 David Behrens: It takes a lot less than 20 minutes to demolish the...
- 01:31 David Behrens: It takes a lot less than 20 minutes to demolish the...
- 01:16 One Nigerian woman's mission to save Lagos beaches and turtles from...
- 01:15 The Yorkshire Post says: A shop window. The true value of...
- 01:15 The Yorkshire Post says: The national interest. One Yorkshire...
- 01:07 Birmingham wall collapse death families 'await answers'
- 01:07 Rose-coloured starling watchers descend on house near Norwich
- 01:04 Chelsea to thrash Man Utd, Wembley embarrassment, West Ham impress...
- 01:04 Chelsea vs Man United: Maurizio Sarri makes surprise admission...
- 01:03 Woman turns to Facebook to find a sperm donor
- 01:03 Chris Pine kept up Scottish accent after filming
- 01:03 Living outside Scottish cities 'saves money'
- 01:03 Jasmine Rook: Falmouth student and transgender campaigner took own...
- 01:03 Wrong-name Cambridge Half Marathon winner can re-apply
- 00:57 LINCS LEAGUE: Fixtures
- 00:57 Facebook fake review factories uncovered by Which? investigation
- 00:57 The People’s Vote march: when, where and why it is happening
- 00:52 Fake moon: Could China really light up the night sky?
- 00:52 Mission to Mercury: BepiColombo spacecraft ready for launch
- 00:47 Two men charged with murder after death of man in Battersea
- 00:26 Talking Horses: Blinkered Cracksman remains a serious threat at Ascot
- 00:17 Killer sudoku 628
- 00:17 Sudoku 4196 hard
- 00:14 When do the clocks change and why do they go back every year?
- 00:13 Light party set to return with bishop
- 23:56 Ian Tomlin: Murder charges over Battersea father's death