Nigeria's Tramadol crisis: The drug fuelling death, despair and Boko Haram
After a BBC investigation in April showed the extent of codeine addiction in Nigeria, the production of codeine-based cough syrup was banned in Nigeria.
But codeine is not the only opioid scourge spreading across West Africa. Another painkiller, Tramadol, is fuelling widespread addiction - and as the BBC's Stephanie Hegarty found out, it may even be fuelling insurgency in the north-east.
When Mustafa Kolo, 23, takes the bright red pills he feels like he can push a tree. It's like his body isn't his. They obliterate the negative thoughts.
"When I take it, I forget everything," he... read more
- 13:17 Measles warning as European cases reach eight-year high
- 13:17 Benjamin Mendy dials back on phone use at Pep Guardiola’s urging
- 13:17 F1 briefing: Alonso backs Sainz, Gasly to replace Ricciardo
- 13:17 Hull man missing after Wakefield visit
- 13:16 Square Chapel in £65k Lottery windfall
- 13:16 Islamic State survivor Nadia Murad engaged to Yazidi activist
- 13:16 Mansfield police want to speak to these three young men
- 13:16 Doncaster Wildlife Park set to feature in new Channel 5 show
- 13:15 When good TV goes bad: how Community’s fourth series failed to make...
- 13:11 Have your say on health and well-being strategy for Northumberland
- 13:10 Teenage Fanclub to part ways with founding member Gerard Love
- 13:10 Labour condemns 'sickening' Lehman Brothers reunion party
- 13:09 Wolves linked with another Portuguese international on Jorge...
- 13:08 Harry Maguire could succeed at Manchester United, says Jonny Evans
- 13:08 Perfume thief jailed after taking scents worth £600
- 13:07 Venezuela prepares to devalue currency, amid fears it may worsen...
- 13:07 EU says Greece can 'finally turn the page' as bailout ends
- 13:07 Francis Ford Coppola agrees Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves might be...
- 13:06 Huge £4.8m transformation plans for Beverley Racecourse revealed
- 13:05 Paul Pogba warns Spurs: Man Utd are 'mad' and will use anger as...
- 13:04 Solutions for Nacer Chadli & Craig Dawson - West Brom's tasks...
- 13:03 Have your say on local policing issues in Aylesbury
- 13:03 Interview: Penelope Skinner tackles male chauvinism in Angry Alan
- 13:01 Gary Amer death: Pensioner 'stabbed tradesman 30 times'
- 13:00 How long it's taking council to replace your broken wheelie bins
- 12:59 Watch major milestone in Halifax Borough Market restoration
- 12:58 Manchester United board still have full faith in Jose Mourinho...
- 12:58 'Like a squirrel that's been drip-fed an espresso' Coventry fans...
- 12:57 Liverpool mum killed in crash named as family say she'll be in...
- 12:56 New president at the helm for Melton Belvoir Rotary Club