NHS intensive care units sending patients elsewhere due to lack of beds
Patients whose lives are at risk are being turned away from their local hospitals because of a lack of intensive care beds, doctors who work in those units have revealed.
Four in five intensive care units (ICUs) are having to send patients to other hospitals as a result of chronic bed and staff shortages.
Units are so beleaguered that some may no longer be able to care properly for the NHS’s sickest patients, the leader of the intensive care speciality has warned.
Intensive care consultants have disclosed that patients are being transferred from one ICU to another for non-clinical reasons... read more
- 18:21 Phil Mickelson would ‘welcome’ Ryder Cup pairing with Tiger Woods
- 18:21 RFU ‘perplexed’ at Agustín Pichot’s attempts to reform rugby calendar
- 18:19 Action to thwart flow of illicit funds into UK is working, claims May
- 18:19 Labour unexpectedly drops plan for female co-deputy leader
- 18:19 Laura Plummer's family release statement after devastating appeal blow
- 18:17 Making a Murderer to return for a second season in October
- 18:16 The odds on John Terry and Thierry Henry becoming new Aston Villa...
- 18:16 Woman suffers facial fractures after interceding in argument in...
- 18:13 Boss Boyd gives full Saints injury update ahead of Bristol battle
- 18:12 Apprentice star ‘overwhelmed’ by shop response
- 18:12 Chelsea news: Zola makes Hazard prediction, Klopp in Sarri title...
- 18:12 Police spy on drivers from double decker buses to catch people on...
- 18:11 Waitress musical 'a tribute' to late film director Adrienne Shelly
- 18:11 Ollie Locke from Made in Chelsea gets engaged
- 18:11 Labour pledges to expand free childcare programme
- 18:11 Tuesday at the Labour party conference
- 18:08 Angela Merkel urges UK to reach ‘sensible’ Brexit plan
- 18:06 Work begins to build school for autism in West Cumbria
- 18:05 Important business vote for Stratford district looms
- 18:03 Roadworks latest: Where to expect delays on Wednesday, September...
- 18:03 Beavers to help tackle ‘dam’ nuisance of national park flooding
- 18:03 Ryder Cup: Phil Mickelson thinks he and Tiger Woods could play...
- 18:02 Santander appoints new chief executive
- 18:02 What is a 'Canada-style' trade deal?
- 18:00 Man killed wife then himself fearing he would get dementia like her
- 17:59 Paul Pogba: Man Utd fans SUPPORT Jose Mourinho decision leaving...
- 17:58 Labour conference votes to APPROVE Brexit plan - which could bring...
- 17:55 Brothers who staged 'rat catcher con' on householders jailed for...
- 17:54 Man Utd legend Ryan Giggs pulls off OUTRAGEOUS assist for Louis...
- 17:53 Bishop of Lincoln speaks out in favour of funding call for...