NHS faces year-round crisis over lack of social care, says council chief
The NHS could be plunged into a year-round crisis because of a lack of social care provision, the head of one of England’s biggest councils has warned, as the chancellor, Philip Hammond, faces pressure to address funding shortages in his spring statement.
The comments from Andrew Travers, the chief executive of Lambeth council, south London, came as the Local Government Association (LGA) said a “tipping point” for adult social care was fast approaching and that inaction from ministers was no longer an option.
Labour said a total of £6.3bn in adult social care funding had been lost since... read more
- 18:45 Police called as '150 pupils riot' in 'mass brawl' forcing school...
- 18:42 Ashington woman helping fellow alopecia sufferers
- 18:40 Leeds family who lost dad back art project to help heart research
- 18:38 Head of Argentina's central bank quits after three months in the job
- 18:38 Trump urges world to reject globalism in UN speech that draws...
- 18:32 Ryder Cup: Tiger Woods throws down gauntlet to younger generation
- 18:30 School shuts ‘after 150 pupils riot outside during lunchtime’
- 18:28 Tiger Woods: Phil Mickelson reckons his old rival is back to his...
- 18:28 'Treated like pariahs': contaminated blood victims tell their stories
- 18:27 Live: Councillors debate whether to permit £26m testing track on...
- 18:26 Angola's Jose Filomeno dos Santos detained over 'fraud'
- 18:24 MOT diesel test not performed in NI for 12 years
- 18:24 Car catches fire at Sutton Coldfield petrol station as driver...
- 18:21 Phil Mickelson would ‘welcome’ Ryder Cup pairing with Tiger Woods
- 18:21 RFU ‘perplexed’ at Agustín Pichot’s attempts to reform rugby calendar
- 18:19 Action to thwart flow of illicit funds into UK is working, claims May
- 18:19 Labour unexpectedly drops plan for female co-deputy leader
- 18:19 Laura Plummer's family release statement after devastating appeal blow
- 18:17 Making a Murderer to return for a second season in October
- 18:16 The odds on John Terry and Thierry Henry becoming new Aston Villa...
- 18:16 Woman suffers facial fractures after interceding in argument in...
- 18:13 Boss Boyd gives full Saints injury update ahead of Bristol battle
- 18:12 Apprentice star ‘overwhelmed’ by shop response
- 18:12 Chelsea news: Zola makes Hazard prediction, Klopp in Sarri title...
- 18:12 Police spy on drivers from double decker buses to catch people on...
- 18:11 Waitress musical 'a tribute' to late film director Adrienne Shelly
- 18:11 Ollie Locke from Made in Chelsea gets engaged
- 18:11 Labour pledges to expand free childcare programme
- 18:11 Tuesday at the Labour party conference
- 18:08 Angela Merkel urges UK to reach ‘sensible’ Brexit plan