NHS agency falsely accuses more than 340,000 of prescription fraud
Hundreds of thousands of NHS patients are being wrongly accused of fraudulently claiming free prescriptions and are being threatened with fines.
Data released under the Freedom of Information Act shows that 1,052,430 penalty notices were issued to patients in England in 2017 – about double the level in the previous year.
The fines, which carry a maximum penalty of £100 and are issued to those who wrongly claim free medication, are issued after an NHS exemption certificate has expired.
But the data confirms that 342,882 penalty notices were subsequently withdrawn because the patient was... read more
- 01:10 ABC chairman told Michelle Guthrie to sack Emma Alberici to appease...
- 00:59 Sudoku 4,175 medium
- 00:58 The Yorkshire Post says: Don’t give apprentices a bad name. Time to...
- 00:55 The Yorkshire Post says: Labour’s Brexit splits exposed. Sir Keir...
- 00:51 Tottenham news: Mauricio Pochettino expects to be playing in new...
- 00:50 Customs delays of 30 minutes 'will bankrupt 1 in 10 firms', say bosses
- 00:49 Rafale deal: Why French jets are at the centre of an Indian...
- 00:49 The Rwandan school turning boys into feminists
- 00:49 Has France's Macron lost his charm?
- 00:49 Why Sweden and China have fallen out so badly
- 00:49 Trump at UN: Who does business with Iran?
- 00:49 Why US top court is so much more political than UK's
- 00:48 GP Taylor: A love letter to the vanishing art of handwriting
- 00:48 Bernard Ingham: Brexit is the inevitable consequence of ignorning...
- 00:48 The Yorkshire Post says: Don’t give apprentices a bad name. Time to...
- 00:48 The Yorkshire Post says: High street tests. Costing out Labour’s...
- 00:46 Scott Morrison claims Indigenous voice to parliament would be a...
- 00:44 Tickets for Chris Evans' CarFest 2018 to go on sale this week
- 00:44 Eating junk food raises risk of depression, says multi-country study
- 00:43 Mirrorless cameras: Photography's new decisive moment
- 00:43 European roundup: Bayern’s run ends while Inter scrape past Fiorentina
- 00:39 Proud Lampard full of praise as Derby County knock out Man Utd
- 00:28 Are themed bars and pubs the future?
- 00:28 Will we soon be renting rather than buying our clothes?
- 00:26 This week’s roadworks in West Yorkshire
- 00:20 Universities failing to tackle sex harassment by staff, says report
- 00:15 Kidnapped by mum: the American teenager trapped in a South Korean cult
- 00:15 Qatar World Cup workers still exploited, says Amnesty report
- 00:15 Jewish event at Labour conference abandoned after bomb scare
- 23:36 Jose Mourinho knew Manchester United were in trouble when Phil...