New Zealand happy to forget the UK's 'betrayal'
It was a story of break-up and betrayal, and of a long-distance relationship that went sour.
It's not a cliffhanger from Shortland Street, New Zealand's longest-running TV soap opera, but a real-life tale of abandonment.
It happened back in January 1973 to the South Pacific nation when the UK joined the then European Economic Community (EEC), the precursor to today's European Union.
At the time, about half of Kiwi exports were shipped 18,500 km (11,500 miles) to the UK, but access to those prized markets would effectively end as a result of the UK joining the EEC.
"It was a massive... read more
- 15:56 What next for Meadowhall’s £300 million ‘Leisure Hall’ plan?
- 15:56 Mablethorpe Running Club: Debbie leads home Poppy Run squad
- 15:55 Repair work starts on ‘dangerous’ bridge causing A422 closure
- 15:55 Armed police prevent man doused in petrol from setting himself on...
- 15:53 Sleep expert reveals how to beat the blues during the colder months
- 15:53 Taimoor Zaheer murder sentences: How dramatic day unfolded at court
- 15:52 How gong meditation could help you relax
- 15:52 George Clarke’s new TV series ‘Project Home’ wants to turn...
- 15:51 Police apology over appeal for man with ‘small penis and...
- 15:50 UK will split apart before Spain, says country’s Foreign Minister
- 15:48 Air pollution cuts global average lifespan by nearly two years – study
- 15:48 Former firefighter David wins first Scotland cap eight years after...
- 15:48 New Chesterfield headteacher vows to do everything to help pupils...
- 15:47 Officer fired for 'watching DVD as homeless man froze to death'
- 15:45 Police roadshow coming to town
- 15:45 Woman was too scared to do anything about her massive tumour for...
- 15:45 Facebook and Instagram hit by service outage
- 15:43 How the DUP could make Theresa May’s job impossible
- 15:43 Sheffield gymnast reveals plans for RAF career ahead of upcoming...
- 15:42 Would you pay more Council Tax for more police officers in Derbyshire?
- 15:41 Why Manchester United bosses have cooled their interest in...
- 15:40 Relatable moment MP rummages for yellow sticker bargains at...
- 15:39 This landmark Nuneaton building is going to be used to house...
- 15:39 Would you pay more Council Tax for more police officers in Derbyshire?
- 15:39 Melton borough boosts Children in Need appeal
- 15:39 MP attacks Government teacher pay plans amid school funding crisis...
- 15:38 School brings in the silver in first term
- 15:38 Banbury dog owner gets court ban
- 15:38 Alex Sandro puts Manchester United and Chelsea on alert by...
- 15:38 Andrew Robertson reveals the club he almost joined before Liverpool...