Nauru refugee flown with son to Taiwan for critical heart surgery
An Iranian refugee who has been waiting 18 months on Nauru for critical heart surgery has been flown to Taiwan for the life-saving operation after the Australian Border Force acquiesced and allowed her teenage son to travel with her.
Fatemeh, 55, has been living in Nauru’s regional processing centre at “high and imminent risk of … heart attack or sudden death”, according to doctors. Border Force had approved her medical transfer overseas, but said she could not take her son with her.
Fatemeh refused to leave her son alone and unsupervised on the island. He has suffered from acute mental... read more
- 16:42 Spreading the flood resilience message
- 16:40 Man held over 'Taser' at Buckingham Palace
- 16:38 Leeds spice: Everything you should know about how the drug is...
- 16:37 Mablethorpe runners complete Humber Coastal Half
- 16:36 Thug stamped on woman’s head repeatedly then trashed her home
- 16:36 Labour pledge to fund alcohol care team in every NHS England hospital
- 16:36 Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri SLAMS Premier League scheduling after...
- 16:33 How to spot signs of a heart attack, ahead of World Heart Day
- 16:32 'Multiple vehicle' pile-up on M6 in Lancashire
- 16:31 ‘Time to reflect on another young life being taken in our city’...
- 16:31 ‘Extremely challenging' night for officers in Sheffield who dealt...
- 16:31 Sheffield Supertram passengers warned of cancellations on purple route
- 16:26 Katerina by James Frey – digested read
- 16:25 'Every fan wants one in their team' - Leeds United expert on...
- 16:24 'Multiple vehicle' pile-up on M6 in Lancashire
- 16:21 Anthony Joshua: Critics must now shut up after modern day great...
- 16:21 'Multiple vehicle' pile-up on M6 in Lancashire
- 16:20 Timeline: Flashback to 1969
- 16:20 Police looking for missing boy, 15, who has links to Leicestershire
- 16:20 Watch moment tractor explodes as firefighters tackle blazing...
- 16:18 Kilmarnock 2 Celtic 1: Hoops legend brands team 'very ordinary'...
- 16:17 Welfare spending for UK's poorest shrinks by £37bn
- 16:16 Rudstone Walk boss speaks out after shock closure of wedding venue
- 16:16 Hartlepool health chiefs pledge to ‘dive deep’ to tackle drug and...
- 16:14 Pardoned film-maker James Ricketson lands back in Australia
- 16:14 3D gun advocate Cody Wilson accused of sex with minor is jailed in...
- 16:13 Are you a student looking for a job? Here are just a few
- 16:13 Victim's son says carer who performed sex act in front of dementia...
- 16:13 Women who kill: The faces of Merseyside's female killers
- 16:12 'Multiple vehicle' pile-up on M6 in Lancashire