Mysterious Indus Valley Civilisation managed to thrive without a river to provide flowing water 5,300 years ago
Scientists have discovered that much of the ancient Indus Valley Civilisation developed around an extinct river.
New research reveals how this early human culture, famed for building the earliest known toilets, became 'urbanised' thousands of years ago.
It shows that many Indus urban centres were not built along a major river, unlike many ancient Egyptian and Mesopotamian hubs.
The findings suggest that ancient civilisations didn't necessarily need a flowing river system in order to thrive, as previous studies have suggested.
Scroll down for video
THE INDUS VALLEY CIVILISATION The Indus... read more
- 03:59 Shipwrecks at Tankerton and Camber Sands to be protected
- 03:52 Sharp Objects recap: season one, episode two – Dirt
- 03:38 Trump-Putin summit: US leader cautious ahead of Helsinki talks
- 03:25 Italy allows migrants to land in Sicily
- 03:25 Casino project will offer Japan's addicts a new way to lose
- 03:24 Chelsea board send message to Eden Hazard over Real Madrid transfer
- 02:51 Labor MP Michael Danby's preselection meeting undemocratic,...
- 02:51 Valentine's day of reckoning
- 02:51 Giro Rosa won by Australian team Mitchelton-Scott
- 02:51 N’Golo Kante’s reaction is superb as France players sing his name...
- 02:51 Nicaragua troops raid towns in south
- 02:51 Top 10 Burton restaurants according to TripAdvisor
- 02:14 Gillespie Macandrew hails year of growth
- 02:14 Hulk Hogan ‘hugged and cheered’ by wrestlers following WWE return...
- 02:14 Comment: Attracting leaders will put Scotland on the world stage
- 02:08 'Lost' Gustav Holst score returned to UK after 100 years
- 02:03 UK will lose track of many EU migrants after Brexit - report
- 01:47 Jaguar kills eight other animals after escaping from zoo enclosure
- 01:46 Military spouses set up skills base in Fife
- 01:27 Plan for multi-million pound transformation of Garth Lane site into...
- 01:27 The Yankee Candle shoplifter who was knocked down as she fled...
- 01:14 CCTV reveals explosive device thrown at home of Gerry Adams
- 01:04 Margaret Fulton's Basque chicken recipe
- 00:54 North Korea to resume search for US military remains
- 00:47 Trump-Putin summit: Why is it a big deal?
- 00:47 Higher Sunday roadworks speed limit tested
- 00:46 Female workers to earn £74k less than male peers, research reveals
- 00:32 Missing Marian Turton found safe and well after huge police search
- 00:27 Sudoku 4113 easy
- 00:27 Russia must ‘account for role’ in shooting down MH17, says G7