Mum with cystic fibrosis on defying the odds and her hopes for the future
WHEN Sheena Swanson was born in 1969, her parents were warned it was unlikely she would survive to celebrate her first birthday.
Forty-six years on, Sheena – who has cystic fibrosis – is living life to the full, married with a grown-up daughter and looking forward to becoming a granny.
She is now one of the oldest people in Britain with the genetic condition that in the 60s was regarded as a death sentence.
She said: “When I was young, there wasn’t a great deal known about cystic fibrosis.
“I used to have to travel to Glasgow to see the specialist at the children’s hospital. Eventually, my... read more
- 11:20 Young Forest Town poets to see work in print
- 11:20 Here's why your business should be aiming for a Queen's Award
- 11:20 Theatre preview: Pride and Prejudice reimagined for the 21st Century
- 11:19 Rafael Nadal and Maria Sharapova line up grass-court matches prior...
- 11:19 Man Utd growing confident over signing Willian due to Chelsea budget
- 11:19 Man Utd legend Roy Keane: Why I DON’T regret walking out of 2002...
- 11:19 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:18 Charlie and Gayle Anderson deaths: Couple 'dreamed' of Jamaica move
- 11:18 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:17 Northumberland mum one of 'top 50 women in engineering'
- 11:17 Record run chase is just the job for F&B
- 11:15 Dublin crash horror: Car hits crowd outside church - two seriously...
- 11:14 Quiz: World Cup hat-tricks
- 11:14 Women's decathlon set for US debut – but do athletes really want it?
- 11:14 Sunderland's Bette Davis expert set to speak at celebrity conference
- 11:14 Watch: Huge flames and black smoke rise into the sky after 'arson...
- 11:14 Mansfield Woodhouse road closed after motorbike crash
- 11:14 The Met Office is introducing two new types of weather warnings -...
- 11:14 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:14 Britain braced for 'blowtorch' heatwave which could spark...
- 11:13 Stacked up on sun cream? Here are seven things you didn't know...
- 11:13 Can sunscreen stop you from getting a tan?
- 11:12 Mystery over sudden death of boy, 3, who went to sleep and never...
- 11:12 Dog gets jaw and tongue stuck in toy she only had for 30 minutes
- 11:12 Morley RFC welcomes new chair and president with family day
- 11:11 Eighty-two chihuahuas found at Birmingham house
- 11:11 More rare dormice released into the wild
- 11:11 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:10 Gareth Southgate would not swap Harry Kane for anyone
- 11:10 Fantastic family fun on the canal