MPs vote to delay Brexit by 412 votes to 202
MPs have voted to delay Brexit beyond the scheduled date of March 29 amid dramatic scenes in the House of Commons.
The vote came after Theresa May’s Withdrawal Agreement was rejected for the second time on Tuesday and MPs voted the following day to rule out a no-deal Brexit.
A motion in Mrs May’s name, authorising the Prime Minister to request an extension to the two-year Article 50 negotiation process, was passed by 412 votes to 202 – a majority of 210.
Only a refusal by the leaders of the 27 remaining EU states to grant the UK an extension at a Brussels summit next week could now preserve... read more
- 02:20 Cancer doctor shortage 'puts care at risk'
- 02:18 Here is Jennifer Lopez's £1.4m ring - and five of the best celeb...
- 01:50 Chinese goths post selfies in protest after subway incident
- 01:37 UK scientists join race for lab-grown meat
- 01:12 Preston schoolgirl Saira Ali wins a national LEGO competition by...
- 01:08 Scott Morrison rules out One Nation preference deal after...
- 01:08 Nebraska floods: private pilots fly in to help city walled off by...
- 01:02 Sudoku 4,323 medium
- 00:54 Guardian readers help write history
- 00:52 Man's 400-mile drive to help stranger visit dying mother
- 00:52 'Stupid' Cadbury treasure hunt ad withdrawn after complaints
- 00:35 Italy's La Scala opera house to return Saudi millions
- 00:34 No-deal Brexit could mean £130m hit to research budgets
- 00:32 Russell Galley: Working together to put end to financial exclusion
- 00:29 Children predict future to have flying cars and robot waiters
- 00:27 Why are Venezuelans seeking refuge in crypto-currencies?
- 00:21 England’s post-16 qualifications to be streamlined
- 00:19 Mark Casci: Celebrating what is great and good about Yorkshire...
- 00:19 Flying cars and robot waiters in children's views of the future
- 00:17 Home leasehold system needs reform, say MPs
- 00:17 World's most expensive cities revealed
- 00:16 Children predict future to have flying cars and robot waiters
- 00:16 Women's NCAA Tournament: 11-time champs UConn miss out on No1 seed
- 00:12 UK breast cancer death rates falling fastest in ‘big six’ of Europe
- 00:12 Use forecast to talk about climate change, urges ex-BBC presenter
- 00:12 MPs call for Viagogo boycott and shake-up of ticket touting laws
- 00:12 Discrimination against urban music persists, says report to MPs
- 00:07 Alun Wyn Jones says don’t rule out Warren Gatland coaching England
- 00:02 British billionaire holds Chelsea takeover talks as Roman...
- 23:32 Watch BBC One's brand new trailer for Gentleman Jack