MP says police 'should not penalise' victims who have been burgled after leaving doors open
A Leicestershire MP has had his say after a senior police officer suggested that some burglaries should not be investigated if doors and windows were left open. Phil Kay, assistant chief constable of Leicestershire Police, said he would rather officers could focus on preventing crime and protecting the public than spending their time investigating break-ins where carelessness may have played a role.
The senior officer posed the question while discussing a high rate of burglaries at digs occupied by students at Loughborough University. In order to get students to 'take notice', Mr Kay... read more
- 17:15 Cycle safety campaign hailed as 'hugely positive' by Tour de Furness
- 17:15 Passengers back on track as Lakes Line replacement booms
- 17:14 DRC set for turmoil as Jean-Pierre Bemba expected home within weeks
- 17:14 Kashmir on edge after local government falls amid militant clashes
- 17:14 Cambodia: 33 pregnant women found in raid on child surrogacy ring
- 17:13 Thousands raised for Great North Air Ambulance at charity ball
- 17:13 Supermarkets are rationing frozen food as CO2 crisis left them...
- 17:08 New 21-bed hotel and restaurant proposed for Sleaford - here's what...
- 17:08 Ibiza Weekender's Callum Izzard MUGGED at knife point and left...
- 17:08 Nigel Farage 'BEGGED' Hayley Hughes for a snap after the politician...
- 17:04 Chelsea plot stunning Borussia Dortmund swap deal involving Alvaro...
- 17:04 Man Utd and Tottenham on transfer alert after Real Madrid star...
- 17:04 Passengers back on track as Lakes Line replacement booms
- 17:02 Warning issued to residents after cases of diabetes rocket
- 17:01 Liverpool transfer news: How Real Madrid star Marco Asensio could...
- 17:00 YP Letters: Did we really need post-war migrant labour?
- 17:00 Crowdfunding pays for distillery’s £3m expansion
- 17:00 YP Letters: Emasculation of Probation Service by Chris Grayling led...
- 17:00 YP Letters: Busy station needs extra platforms
- 17:00 Man arrested after police called to stabbing in Leeds
- 17:00 Mum rages at woman for banning her baby from a wedding she’d spent...
- 16:57 West Brom to go head to head with Huddersfield for France-based...
- 16:57 Man paralysed after huge two-litre poo cuts off blood flow to leg
- 16:57 Nick Kyrgios caught making obscene gesture in Queen’s semi-final
- 16:57 Novak Djokovic outlines hilarious plan to stop Marin Cilic in...
- 16:55 Shed destroyed in Hartlepool fire
- 16:55 Sadiq Khan: second Brexit vote possible if parliament rejects deal
- 16:54 Trump press secretary Sarah Sanders ejected from Virginia restaurant
- 16:54 The Financial Fair Play rules explained - and what they mean for...
- 16:54 This supermarket has just slashed 2p off every litre of petrol