Mosquito-spreading drone to fight diseases
Drones that scatter swarms of sterile mosquitoes over wide areas are being developed to help stop the spread of diseases such as malaria.
Sterile male mosquitoes cannot produce offspring when they mate with females. By crowding out other males, they reduce the mosquito population.
But spreading them is difficult in areas without roads, so technology organisation WeRobotics has been developing drones to do the job.
It will trial the idea in 2018.
"Mosquitoes carry many diseases such as malaria, dengue fever and Zika virus. It makes them one of the biggest animal killers worldwide,"... read more
- 07:56 Joyce McMillan: Edinburgh Festival is infected by the age of rage
- 07:54 Ayton Primary School roof repairs
- 07:53 Elon Musk was 'not on weed' when tweeting about taking Tesla private
- 07:53 Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea? Wes Brown makes bold title...
- 07:52 Messages advising smokers to 'make this your last pack' could be...
- 07:47 Cavendish Nuclear tests new mapping system
- 07:47 Every business in enterprise hub broken into an £40,000 worth of...
- 07:45 Angelina Jolie ‘lookalike’ reveals her most extreme look yet
- 07:45 Nearly 80 people collapse in single park from synthetic marijuana...
- 07:45 Cavendish Nuclear tests new mapping system
- 07:43 Sadiq Khan: London planners must prepare for no-deal Brexit
- 07:43 Earliest galaxies found 'on our cosmic doorstep'
- 07:40 Sheffield man in custody over attack in which kneecap and thigh...
- 07:40 Murder suspects due in court over stabbing of Sheffield dad-of-three
- 07:40 Stabbing victim fighting for life in hospital
- 07:40 Baby pulled alive from drain with umbilical cord wrapped around...
- 07:40 Tenant whose 'pap' inspired her to garden among winners of...
- 07:39 Bamber Bridge have a mental edge over this weekend’s opponents...
- 07:38 Stunning murals brighten up Carlisle railway station
- 07:38 Cutting out carbs could shorten your life, suggests study
- 07:37 Long M1 queues near Shepshed after lorry mounts central reservation
- 07:36 This is when Leeds will be hit by heavy downpours this weekend as...
- 07:31 Carlisle taxi driver banned from driving after writing off his car
- 07:21 Brave Bertie has another operation
- 07:21 Teething problems for new town parking restrictions
- 07:21 Stage is set for a vital makeover of theatre
- 07:20 Why this hassle over a travel insurance payment from Nationwide?
- 07:19 Shocking footage captures police officer hit by colleague’s van...
- 07:18 Family fuming when short flight to Birmingham Airport triggers 30...
- 07:18 The three big decisions Unai Emery must make ahead of Arsenal...