Mosques given protected status in ‘celebration of British Muslim heritage’
English mosques are getting protected heritage status in what’s being described as a celebration of ‘rich Muslim heritage’.
Historic England said the Government is adding two mosques in London to its list of protected buildings, and is upgrading the status of two others.
It comes amid concern that non-Christian religious buildings are not being given the protection they deserve.
Heritage Minister Michael Ellis said listing the mosques preserved important places of worship and celebrated the rich heritage of Muslim communities in England.
The London Central Mosque and Islamic Cultural Centre... read more
- 03:56 Everton news: Richarlison reveals how Brazli superstar Neymar...
- 03:45 'Awful abuses': US denounces China's treatment of Uighurs
- 03:41 Brexit compromise still possible, Donald Tusk says
- 03:27 The needles and the damage done: the growers hurt by Australia's...
- 03:06 Bristol venue to play Africa by Toto on loop all night
- 03:00 LINCS LEAGUE: Fixtures
- 02:56 Labour could renationalise railways in five years - McDonnell
- 02:18 Value-for-money bakery opens in former Northampton Oliver Adams shop
- 02:14 Stamp of approval for Helensburgh training firm
- 01:59 'Hezbollah treasurer' Barakat arrested in Brazil border city
- 01:52 Neil McNicholas: Only answer to health threat is no smoking at all
- 01:52 Tom Richmond: Don’t waste chance to give leaders a public grilling
- 01:47 Former welfare recipients who refuse to pay back debt face travel ban
- 01:47 Republican lawmaker ends re-election bid as daughter alleges...
- 01:24 The town that became Scotland's chilli capital
- 01:24 Premier League shirts row: The fickle fashions of sponsorship
- 01:05 Viewpoint: What India's first newspaper says about democracy
- 01:04 The night Kevin Keegan sneaked back into Newcastle in a flat cap...
- 01:02 Maniac: The new James Bond director's experimental Netflix drama
- 01:01 How do you solve catastrophic hyperinflation?
- 00:55 Man City performance disturbing but Paul Pogba absolutely brilliant...
- 00:55 Wilfried Zaha: Roy Hodgson tells star to keep talking on the pitch...
- 00:49 The Yorkshire Post says: Universal troubles. Little political...
- 00:49 David Behrens: Sheffield Council needs lessons in common sense –...
- 00:49 Patrick Mercer: Our leaders are all at sea over defence and...
- 00:30 Rihanna appointed as ambassador by Barbados
- 00:30 Ministers urged to get tough on minimum wage offenders
- 00:26 Code-cracking Bombe operation recreated at Bletchley
- 00:26 Minimum wage: Workers underpaid by record £15.6m
- 00:25 Killer sudoku 624