More than 400,000 Scots labelled 'vulnerable' on police database
More than 400,000 Scots have been placed on a police database aimed at protecting "vulnerable" people, BBC Scotland has discovered.
Officers attending incidents or crimes add people to the list if they consider them at risk of future harm.
The Information Commissioner said the database breached the Data Protection Act because it lacked an information removal policy.
Police Scotland said it was working to bring it into compliance with the act.
Many people were not told that they had been put on the system.
The force said that the database allowed officers to collate information... read more
- 07:52 Mum’s anger as doctor is allowed to practise again after death of son
- 07:52 Vaping can damage lungs, study funds
- 07:50 Jury in Ben Stokes affray trial will retire to consider verdict today
- 07:50 Third of homes in Scotland fail to live up to expectations
- 07:49 Investigation continues into death of baby found in Wesham
- 07:49 Live updates as Hull shop 'ram-raided' overnight
- 07:49 Car crashes into barriers outside Houses of Parliament
- 07:48 Arsonists hunted over blazes across South Yorkshire
- 07:48 Andy Murray takes positives from Lucas Pouille defeat in Cincinnati...
- 07:48 Investigation continues into death of baby found in Wesham
- 07:48 Turkish lira crisis: market jitters send Indian rupee to record low...
- 07:47 Diogo Dalot set to resume full training with Manchester United
- 07:47 Roger Federer begins US Open mind games with Novak Djokovic
- 07:47 Vaping can damage lungs, study funds
- 07:46 Venezuela crisis: Maduro to curb fuel subsidies
- 07:41 Third of homes in Scotland fail to live up to expectations
- 07:40 Metro Road Trip: Your summer pictures of the southern counties
- 07:38 This is when experts predict it will rain again in Leeds
- 07:35 Stratford Road caller rings 999 to ask where to buy baby milk
- 07:34 Cheshire archeologist who recovered famous bog body dies
- 07:32 What will be decided at Northamptonshire County Council cabinet...
- 07:29 Bus lane proposed for Lancaster’s Greyhound Bridge
- 07:28 Chelsea news: Asmir Begovic gives honest opinion on Kepa...
- 07:28 Jury in Ben Stokes affray trial to retire and consider verdicts
- 07:27 School cuts: ‘Children now raise money for their own education’
- 07:24 Pervert teenager threatened and manipulated underage girls to get...
- 07:23 Carlisle City Council paid £290,000 more than expected for new...
- 07:23 Paddy McLaughlin reflects on Hartlepool United’s difficult National...
- 07:22 Weighing in over cancelling David Lloyd fitness membership
- 07:19 Car egged and wrapped in cling film after being left on roadside...