More Scottish household waste recycled than landfilled
The quantity of household waste being recycled in Scotland has exceeded the amount sent to landfill for the first time, according to the latest official figures.
Statistics released by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa) show that 45.6 per cent of household rubbish generated north of the Border in 2017 was recycled.
This represents an increase of 0.6 per cent on the rate achieved in 2016.
A total of 2.46 million tonnes of household waste was generated last year – a drop of 38,153 tonnes, or 1.5 per cent, from 2016.
The amount recycled weighed in at 1.12 million tonnes, while... read more
- 01:51 Saudi Arabia appoints its first female ambassador to US
- 01:51 Are these the perfect postcards from space?
- 01:50 BBC Scotland TV channel prepares to launch
- 01:45 Saudi Arabia announces princess as US ambassador
- 01:36 Australia's trade minister raises concerns about China's coal...
- 01:13 EU referendum registration deadline extended
- 01:09 James DeGale ‘pretty sure’ he will retire after loss Chris Eubank Jr
- 01:04 IN PICTURES: Runners take on endurance challenges along the...
- 00:55 Northampton Saints 27 Bath 26: Tom Vickers' review and player ratings
- 00:53 Church of England urges five days of prayer for poor as Brexit looms
- 00:49 Brexit: What would it mean for UK pensioners living in Europe?
- 00:49 What has really happened since Macpherson's report
- 00:47 New strategy to help deal with dementia issue in Lincolnshire is...
- 00:32 Rory McIlroy shooting for a Mexico stand-off with Dustin Johnson
- 00:32 Chris Eubank Jr beats James DeGale to send Londoner towards retirement
- 00:29 Oscars 2019: How will the ceremony change this year?
- 00:28 Tymoshenko v Tymoshenko: Funny business at the polls
- 00:28 Australian farmers' long road after mass cattle deaths
- 00:28 Gambling addict with brain injury spent £210,000
- 00:28 Supermarkets misleading shoppers on healthy food, say nutritionists
- 00:24 How Preston North End's players rated in their win over Millwall -...
- 00:19 Greece's invisible minority - the Macedonian Slavs
- 00:18 Kim Jong Un boards train to head to summit with Trump in Vietnam
- 00:17 'He lost control' - Craig Hignett reacts to remarkable refereeing...
- 00:15 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:15 Observer sudoku
- 00:11 Scots activewear brand launches jacket made out of coffee grounds
- 00:11 Two injured after major 11-vehicle crash on M8 in central Glasgow
- 00:11 Neil Lennon: The possibility of Celtic winning a treble treble is...
- 00:11 Iain Morrison: French thrilling in full flight but Scots tough...