More babies induced at 40 weeks would ‘improve the survival rate’
MUMS-TO-BE who are induced at 40 weeks rather than allowed to continue with their pregnancy are less likely to suffer a stillbirth or new born baby death, a study has found.
Researchers claim carrying out an additional 1,040 inductions of labour for women who have reached 40 completed weeks would prevent the death of one baby.
In a study of around one million pregnancies, Edinburgh University’s maternal and fetal health team found stillbirths and neonatal deaths occurred in 0.08 per cent of cases after labour was electively induced compared to 0.18 per cent of births when the pregnancy was... read more
- 06:32 Pension’s ‘nightmare’ after car number plates used in bizarre plant...
- 06:31 Girl, 14, vanishes after calling hospital to say she’s gone into...
- 06:31 Woman who spent 10 hours in the sea after falling from ship...
- 06:24 Overhaul for Sunderland petrol station approved
- 06:23 The Liberal party is self-destructing over energy. Here's what you...
- 06:23 Greece emerges from eurozone bailout after years of austerity
- 06:23 New GCSEs put pupils under more pressure, say school leaders
- 06:20 Monday’s best TV: Dwarfs in Art: A New Perspective; Bollywood: The...
- 06:19 JobCentre joke named funniest on the Fringe
- 06:19 Tourist boom means end to weddings at iconic Urquhart Castle
- 06:17 Grimsby's army reserves want new recruits - Here's how to apply
- 06:17 Fitness regime done, our reporter's weight loss results are in
- 06:17 Public toilets in North East Lincolnshire halved over last eight years
- 06:17 Shopkeeper praised by judge after chasing armed robber through...
- 06:17 Watch out! Police crackdown on speeding drivers in Cleethorpes
- 06:17 Gretton band could be forced to move due to problems with...
- 06:16 SNP councillor barred from joining EU body by UK Minister
- 06:16 Lesley Riddoch: Farage’s return smacks of hubris
- 06:16 Brian Monteith: Venezuela offers brutal warning over Corbyn’s Labour
- 06:15 BMW M135i is the beast from the east
- 06:14 Prospect of a new UK party grows as ground shifts at Westminster
- 06:12 Man caught trying to steal from Sikh temple
- 06:12 Family of tragic Stanley Metcalf have one moving request for his...
- 06:12 Killer Jason Gaskell's 'terrifying' attack on woman days before...
- 06:11 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho gives update on Alexis Sanchez return
- 06:06 Preston midfielder Paul Gallagher’s elbow on Joe Allen could land...
- 06:03 Teacher union backs parents’ boycott of tests for P1 children
- 06:01 Hartlepool foodbank providing around 1,000 meals every month to...
- 06:01 Broken bone? You could be treated ‘at home’ under new plan
- 06:01 Rail fare rises add ‘insult to injury’ says Hartlepool MP