Modern LED street lights which are cheaper to run and have lower emissions 'damage people's eyesight and dazzle motorists'
Modern street lights can keep people awake at night and damage their eyesight, a report has warned.
Hundreds of thousands of street lights have been replaced by LEDs which are cheaper to run and have lower emissions.
But Public Health England (PHE) said the ‘uncomfortable’ lights could cause long-term damage to people’s eyesight, leaving them with health problems akin to ‘permanent jet lag’.
It also warned that the increased use of LED lights on new cars risked dazzling oncoming drivers, particularly if they are elderly. Dozens of councils are replacing mercury and sodium street lights with... read more
- 03:06 Top police commander praises witnesses who helped victim in Asda...
- 00:14 Three arrested after shots fired in Leicester city centre
- 00:15 Multiple theories of how to tackle Carnoustie reach no firm conclusion
- 03:06 Labour celebrates victory in Besses by election
- 00:15 Graffiti gang who caused £77,000 worth of damage to trains across...
- 00:14 Youths go on smashing spree in Peterlee
- 00:14 REVIEW: Poptastic Steps wow crowds at Lytham Festival
- 00:14 Pizza, popcorn - Sleights pupils’ sleepover at school raises more...
- 00:14 Victim speaks out after sex attacker jailed for 23 years
- 00:14 New low for Northants as they are beaten by Derbyshire
- 00:14 Police make second arrest in Shaun Lyall death
- 00:14 Headteacher says councillors 'must do better' after branding his...
- 00:14 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news and travel
- 00:14 Steelbacks set to make more changes for Bears battle