Mississippi lawmakers approve earliest US abortion ban
The Mississippi state Senate has passed a bill that would ban abortions after 15 weeks - a move that would give it the strictest limits in the US.
The Gestational Age Act still has to go back to the House for second approval.
If it passes, Governor Phil Bryant has said he will sign the measure into law, adding that he wants Mississippi to be "the safest place in America for an unborn child."
Similar moves in other states have been blocked by legal challenges.
Currently, Mississippi prohibits abortions from 20 weeks, unless her life is in danger or in cases of fatal foetal... read more
- 19:58 Roger Federer to team up with Novak Djokovic at the Laver Cup
- 19:55 Brexiters hit back at Emmanuel Macron for calling them liars
- 19:55 May in fight to save Chequers Brexit plan after Salzburg ambush
- 19:51 Who is Mitchell Quy? Violent murderer who said 'wait and see' if he...
- 19:51 Liverpool news: FOUR stars raved about by Jamie Carragher after PSG...
- 19:49 This cafés incredible gesture is helping to save a Hull man's life
- 19:48 Donald Trump told hurricane victim with wrecked home ‘At least you...
- 19:48 Woman complains of pain in vagina, finds out there’s a dead...
- 19:47 Royal Marines carried hurt Scots walker down Angus hillside
- 19:45 Aston Villa ace backed by Manchester United star after first goal
- 19:43 BHA gives guarded welcome to Labour plan to ban TV gambling
- 19:42 A second fracking site in Lancashire would be "costly" to county's...
- 19:31 This popular sweet is being axed from boxes of Quality Street
- 19:27 From hairclips to hiking boots: headline news for autumn/winter 2018
- 19:27 Acid days: how tie-dye fashion went mainstream
- 19:27 London fashion week: the inside scoop
- 19:27 Pamela Anderson on never wearing leather again: 'I call myself a...
- 19:25 Evans Cycles seeks new owner amid cash crunch
- 19:23 Teacher ‘turned pre-school playground into violent toddler fight club’
- 19:23 Amazon grows its Echo chamber with a range of new Alexa devices
- 19:22 Live updates as Storm Bronagh hits Sheffield – roads flooded and...
- 19:22 Sheffield health bosses rethink walk-in centre and minor injuries...
- 19:20 Labour plans to ban in-play betting during live sport
- 19:18 Liverpool news: Shock player named as fastest man on pitch during...
- 19:17 Cops allow nudist to garden in the buff as long as he doesn’t...
- 19:16 Labour 'could win 1.5m more votes' by backing Brexit referendum
- 19:15 Preston North End’s Josh Earl is in new territory
- 19:13 Proposed national integrity commission could extend to lobbying,...
- 19:13 Macron puts the boot in after May's Brexit breakfast blunder
- 19:12 Prince Harry patting down Meghan’s hair in the wind is true...