Ministers knew HMP Birmingham was failing a year ago, claims prison expert
The Government has been accused of knowing HMP Birmingham was failing more than a year before ministers stepped in to take over the crisis-hit jail.
Ministers should have acted quicker to stop the “meltdown” in the interests of prisoners' health and safety, a leading authority on the prison system has said.
Concerns over the jail, also known as Winson Green, go back to June 2017 and resulted in two 'notices to improve' issued earlier this year, documents released under the Freedom of Information Act show.
One of the letters cites “a sustained level of violence” in the prison which resulted... read more
- 02:58 Arts leaders call for more school funding
- 02:54 Drugs charge
- 02:35 Founder of student work experience platform takes venture to next...
- 02:29 The Mysteries: Six towns, six stories... one England?
- 02:26 Fact check: Donald Trump's claims versus climate science
- 02:09 Acorn Enterprise provides growth spurt for start-ups
- 02:05 Hostility to men and the elderly could become hate crimes
- 01:40 Royal tour: First glimpse of Meghan's baby bump
- 01:40 Stormy Daniels defamation lawsuit against Trump dismissed
- 01:29 The Yorkshire Post says: Stick to day job. Universal Credit...
- 01:27 Died and gone to heaven? No, that's air pollution Bryan Adams
- 01:25 Budget 2018 predictions: what will Philip Hammond announce?
- 01:25 High Street ‘vital to UK’s social fabric’ - Card Factory boss
- 01:14 Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Paul Allen dies aged 65
- 01:13 Andrew Vine: High street shops need support so use them or lose them
- 01:11 Prince Harry and Meghan given some very Australian baby gifts
- 01:04 High Street ‘vital to UK’s social fabric’ - Card Factory boss
- 01:02 The Yorkshire Post says: Thank you to Childline volunteers who...
- 01:02 Claire Perry: Greener world presents new opportunities for...
- 01:02 High Street ‘vital to UK’s social fabric’ - Card Factory boss
- 00:57 William Wallace: No deal on Brexit may well mean the end of the UK....
- 00:54 Facebook cracks down on ‘dark ads’ by British political groups
- 00:54 UK cyber-centre thwarts hostile hackers
- 00:52 Spain player ratings: How did Paco Alcacer, David De Gea and Thiago...
- 00:52 Arsenal news: Unai Emery has achieved something Arsene Wenger...
- 00:50 Sudoku 4,192 medium
- 00:50 City where only one train in three is on time
- 00:44 The face of Hull city centre could soon be transformed with big...
- 00:39 Usain Bolt offered European professional football deal – reports
- 00:31 Letter from Africa: Kenya unveils biblical strategy to tackle...