Ministers accused of breaking promise to fund fire safety
Local authority councillors claimed yesterday that councils are now being forced to pay for essential funding measures, including the installation of sprinklers, from their own diminishing coffers.
Nottingham City Council’s Labour councillor Jane Urquhart, responsible for housing in the borough, said the government had blocked funds for works planned on high rises as they were considered “additional rather than essential.”
She told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “We found that really difficult to understand given that in the refurbishment of the Houses of Parliament sprinklers are... read more
- 10:15 Window of opportunity for children and parents at Park Academy
- 10:15 The best TV shows this week
- 10:15 Diogo Dalot reacts to making Man Utd debut and sends message to...
- 10:15 Preston weather forecast: Yellow warnings in place as heavy rain...
- 10:15 Morecambe’s volunteer lifeboat crew launch to man in water
- 10:14 Weather warnings in place as Storm Ali blows into Wakefield
- 10:12 Danny Cipriani left out of England squad - five Wasps included
- 10:12 The best TV shows this week
- 10:11 Netball team smash target in teammate’s memory
- 10:11 Typhoon Mangkhut has made landfall in southern China
- 10:11 WWE NXT: Results, winners, grades
- 10:10 Danny Cipriani left out of England squad while Manu Tuilagi earns...
- 10:10 Video shows chairs and punches thrown during mass brawl at boxing...
- 10:10 Hackers steal £45million from Japanese digital currency exchange
- 10:09 Weather warnings in place as Storm Ali blows into Wakefield
- 10:08 Beach rebuilding efforts won't stave off climate change impacts...
- 10:08 Heavy rain to hit England and Wales in aftermath of Storm Ali
- 10:08 James Bond 25: Cary Fukunaga named as new director
- 10:08 Beijing complains as US 'orders Chinese media to register as...
- 10:08 Headteacher 'suspended' and ambitious '£60k theatre' torn down -...
- 10:08 Parents urged to apply for Northants school places for September...
- 10:07 Nine-year-old girl tragically dies after eating wrong Cadbury...
- 10:07 Iceland are selling packets of ready made scrambled eggs
- 10:07 LOOKING BACK: Railway threatened with close and new care home
- 10:06 Warwick residents join ‘Big Tidy Up’ event
- 10:06 Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance called to ‘crash’ scenario at RAF Scampton
- 10:05 India bans instant divorceInstant divorce of Muslim women outlawed...
- 10:05 Arthur Mitchell, trailblazing US ballet dancer, dies at 84
- 10:05 Storm Ali brings 102mph winds to UK as Britain battered by gales
- 10:05 What is Fortnite Battle Royale? Tips, strategies and hints to win