Millions of people worldwide hit by unprecedented flooding as climate change becomes a deadly reality
We knew this was coming. This August the rains have come with a vengeance. But we knew something like this was coming. In 2014, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change published its summary of the expected impacts of climate change. In dry, academic language, the report sets out the evidence: climate change will bring extremes of precipitation: more droughts and more deadly floods.
Early in the morning on 14 August, heavy rains in Freetown, Sierra Leone triggered a mudslide. Muddy rubble cascaded down the hillside, destroying homes and burying people inside them. The official death... read more
- 01:47 Jaguar kills eight other animals after escaping from zoo enclosure
- 01:46 Military spouses set up skills base in Fife
- 01:27 Plan for multi-million pound transformation of Garth Lane site into...
- 01:27 The Yankee Candle shoplifter who was knocked down as she fled...
- 01:14 CCTV reveals explosive device thrown at home of Gerry Adams
- 01:04 Margaret Fulton's Basque chicken recipe
- 00:54 North Korea to resume search for US military remains
- 00:47 Trump-Putin summit: Why is it a big deal?
- 00:47 Higher Sunday roadworks speed limit tested
- 00:46 Female workers to earn £74k less than male peers, research reveals
- 00:32 Missing Marian Turton found safe and well after huge police search
- 00:27 Sudoku 4113 easy
- 00:27 Russia must ‘account for role’ in shooting down MH17, says G7
- 00:27 Justine Greening shows support for second Brexit referendum
- 00:26 Tudor shipwreck discovered by local group on Kent beach
- 00:26 Iran nuclear deal: US rejects EU plea for sanctions exemption
- 00:21 How two strangers set up Dropbox and made billions
- 00:21 I'm 65 and my interest-only mortgage is ending – what can I do?
- 00:21 Firms told to engage with staff to improve trust
- 00:15 Justine Greening calls for second Brexit referendum
- 00:15 Morgan Lake gives GB reason for cheer as USA claim Athletics World Cup
- 00:12 Motorway roadworks speed limit could rise to 60mph on Sundays
- 00:12 Hong Kong's Snowden refugees, facing deportation, hope of new life...
- 00:12 A day of glory: how the French press covered World Cup victory
- 00:12 Sharp rise in number of super-rich prepared to invest £2m for UK visa
- 00:11 Nearly 8 million people providing care for family members without pay
- 00:08 Calls for Pride Glasgow CEO to quit after 'utter disgrace' of...
- 00:08 Donald Trump protesters praised by Police Scotland for 'good...
- 00:05 Rand Paul breaks with Republicans as he doubts Trump supreme court...
- 00:05 Elon Musk calls British diver in Thai cave rescue a 'pedo' in...