Millions of government workers paid 'poverty' wages, study says
The federal government employs more workers making less than $15 an hour than any other employer in the US, a new report has revealed.
The study, compiled by pro-union group Good Jobs Nation, analyzed federal data and showed that the government spends more than $1.6tn on federal contractors employing more than 12.5 million people with 4.5 million of those workers making below $15 an hour.
Many of these workers are employed by contractors as janitors, cafeteria workers, call center workers, administrative assistants and healthcare aides, and union campaigners say they are being kept on... read more
- 10:04 Closed down South Hiendley school was 'fully ablaze' in fire
- 10:04 ‘Lunatic’ driver had son, 8, in car when he sped through Sheffield...
- 10:03 M62 accident causes lane closure traffic between Brighouse and...
- 10:03 The lost city of Atlanta
- 10:03 Part-night street lights to be affected when clocks go back
- 10:03 NBA brawls are infantile but they're not necessarily pointless
- 10:03 World Series 2018: The Red Sox or the Dodgers? Our writers’...
- 10:02 Guest at Northamptonshire wedding attacked paramedic
- 10:02 Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk vs. Man City team news, starting...
- 10:01 What I Rent: Lee, £825 per month for a room in a two-bedroom flat...
- 10:01 Heysham man takes on Nepal trek to support women’s cancer charity
- 10:00 Driver cut out of car after smashing into railings in Tottington Road
- 10:00 Level of spending on home to school transport is 'unsustainable'...
- 09:59 Screamania event turns out to be a Halloween horror as people label...
- 09:59 Bridlington to Scarborough road blocked after crash
- 09:59 Deontay Wilder to get 50-50 split with Anthony Joshua if Tyson Fury...
- 09:57 Police appeal after man injured during mass brawl in Burnley
- 09:57 Farleys fashion show suits hospital charity just fine
- 09:56 Pret allergy death: parents to meet Gove over food labelling
- 09:55 Closed down South Hiendley school was 'fully ablaze' in fire
- 09:55 Carols at Warwick Castle to return
- 09:55 Brentford v Preston North End likely line-ups, key men, the referee...
- 09:54 Amputee PC told public how to save his life after car crash
- 09:54 Double stabbing in Sheffield ‘not linked’ to any other incident,...
- 09:52 Carols at Warwick Castle to return
- 09:52 Driver cut out of car after crashing into railings in Tottington Road
- 09:52 CCTV released of man wanted in connection with handbag theft from...
- 09:51 Eat Me Cafe forced to close after burst water pipe
- 09:51 Part-night street lights to be affected when clocks go back
- 09:50 Harborough's public should be consulted over removal of intensive...