Men of steel: How the Ravenscraig old hands are passing on tricks of the trade to a whole new generation
It was the unmistakable sounds and smells of a steelworks that Tom Brookbanks missed the most.
The roaring furnaces and the clanking and hissing of giant machines were part of Tom’s life for more than 50 years as a veteran of the now defunct Ravenscraig works in Lanarkshire.
Now 72, the hard hat is back on as the engineer has walked out of retirement to train a new breed of steelworkers in an industry that had all but been written off in Scotland.
And the grandfather says being back among the blood, sweat and steel of the old Tata plant in Motherwell – reopened last week by Liberty Steel –... read more
- 17:31 Liverpool star Sadio Mane reveals what he said to Mohamed Salah...
- 17:28 Man arrested after police called to stabbing in Leeds
- 17:28 Game Of Thrones stars Kit Harington and Rose Leslie arrive at...
- 17:28 Armed Forces Week officially starts in Carlisle
- 17:26 Red Arrows wow Solihull crowds at Land Rover 70th anniversary event
- 17:26 These alcoholic drinks actually make hayfever worse - and it...
- 17:26 Mo Salah ‘honoured’ with gift of citizenship from Chechen leader
- 17:26 Marin Cilic speaks out on avoiding Wimbledon blisters repeat
- 17:26 Lewis Hamilton storms into pole for resurrected French Grand Prix
- 17:26 Mum says primary schools shouldn’t give LGBT lessons without...
- 17:26 More than 560 migrants rescued from boat in Mediterranean
- 17:25 Baby hailed "miracle stick of dynamite" after being born when her...
- 17:25 Thousands of EU supporters march in London to call for final Brexit...
- 17:23 A warning for West Brom ahead of the 2018/19 Championship campaign
- 17:23 Aston Villa's most realistic replacement for John Terry: Everything...
- 17:23 Davina McCall, 50, flaunts washboard abs in bikini snaps - and fans...
- 17:20 Ex-Vatican diplomat jailed after being found guilty of possessing...
- 17:20 Would you have spotted this drowning child in time?
- 17:20 Body found in Derbyshire river
- 17:20 Heartbroken dancers stranded at Birmingham airport miss World Cup...
- 17:20 Hero fire crews rescue poor puppy trapped in wrecked van after crash
- 17:19 Liverpool Transfer News: Lyon chief makes major claim about Nabil...
- 17:18 The Big Interview: Anneli Ritari-Stewart, MD of iProspect
- 17:17 Man Utd transfer news: Jose Mourinho talks to Liverpool enemy...
- 17:15 Cycle safety campaign hailed as 'hugely positive' by Tour de Furness
- 17:15 Passengers back on track as Lakes Line replacement booms
- 17:14 DRC set for turmoil as Jean-Pierre Bemba expected home within weeks
- 17:14 Kashmir on edge after local government falls amid militant clashes
- 17:14 Cambodia: 33 pregnant women found in raid on child surrogacy ring
- 17:13 Thousands raised for Great North Air Ambulance at charity ball