McDonald's workers stage first ever UK strike in pay and conditions row
Workers at restaurant giant McDonald's staged their first ever strike in the UK on Monday in a dispute over pay and conditions.
Staff in Cambridge and Crayford, south-east London, walked out in a row over the use of zero-hours contracts and "inexplicably" low pay.
The Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU) said the strike was being well supported.
Members of other trade unions joined early-morning picket lines outside the two restaurants, while Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn offered his backing.
The workers are calling for a wage of at least £10 an hour and more secure working... read more
- 16:35 Sky boss calls for more women programmers as Leeds launches growth...
- 16:34 48 hours in Chicago: the ultimate two-day guide
- 16:34 Rhinos launch kids hospice grand car raffle
- 16:33 Smoking, chip pans and candles: Fires in your home could be prevented
- 16:33 Three quarters of Brits can't identify East Midlands landmarks
- 16:33 Adobe says it can identify manipulated images using AI
- 16:33 A Derbyshire pub is covered in St. George's spirit for the World...
- 16:32 Grimsby weather presenter Keeley Donovan shares video and photos of...
- 16:32 Police car attacked as officers called to disturbance on Grange estate
- 16:32 Man arrested in dawn operation in connection with sex offence...
- 16:31 This is why huge plumes of smoke could be seen across Birmingham today
- 16:31 Revealed: Nine of the UK’s 10 cheapest seaside towns are in Scotland
- 16:30 Gardener and girlfriend win £3million on Lottery scratchcard
- 16:30 Why police divers were at Noddle Hill Way pond in Bransholme
- 16:29 Appeal for public to support March of Remembrance in Padiham
- 16:29 Church children Lent their help to local NHS
- 16:29 Burnley community reads entire Bible at local church event
- 16:29 Deputy director from KGH up for national women’s award
- 16:29 Teacher's touching gesture to help all girls go to prom
- 16:28 Six people arrested after fight in Mansfield town centre
- 16:28 Woman struck by traffic light in Southam
- 16:27 Man runs into Market Harborough supermarket with knife wound to his...
- 16:27 Dormer House School performs A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- 16:27 Trump repeats call to deprive undocumented migrants of due process
- 16:23 Stars on song at Northumberland Live
- 16:23 Smoking, chip pans and candles: Fires in your home could be prevented
- 16:23 London is the most desirable city for overseas workers in the world...
- 16:22 FYI chub rub doesn’t only happen to fat people
- 16:21 Pilot mental health care scheme trialled to relieve pressures on...
- 16:21 Walk, run or jog - see the amazing women who joined Doncaster’s...