Martin Shkreli: entrepreneur defends decision to raise price of life-saving drug 50-fold
An entrepreneur who acquired the rights to produce a life-saving drug then increased its price more than 50-fold overnight is defending his decision with assertions that the profits will help create better medicines in future.
Medical organizations protested loudly on Sunday after a company owned by controversial former hedge fund manager Martin Shkreli raised the price of the drug Daraprim, which treats a dangerous parasitic infection, from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill.
Shkreli’s startup company, Turing Pharmaceuticals, acquired Daraprim in August. The drug was first developed in the... read more
- 00:59 New York inmate's golf drawings lead to exoneration in murder
- 00:58 Hologram phone calls - sci-fi or serious possibility?
- 00:58 Trump's tariffs putting the squeeze on the Midwest
- 00:58 Brexit will have 'worse economic impact on UK than EU'
- 00:51 Dejan Lovren denies wrongdoing after being charged with perjury
- 00:50 Sudoku 4,170 hard
- 00:44 Gaia Pope: Family appeals for art in memory of teenager
- 00:44 Rail: 'Lack of accountability' led to timetable chaos
- 00:43 Letter from Africa: The link between earth tremors, God and...
- 00:40 Mark Cuban to donate $10m after probe into Mavericks' workplace...
- 00:39 Labour pledges ban on TV gambling adverts during live sports
- 00:39 'No one took charge' – rail industry and DfT lambasted for chaos
- 00:31 Golfers add to the impressive charity funds
- 00:27 Cecilia Haddad murder: former Brazilian boyfriend confessed to...
- 00:22 The Yorkshire Post says: A forgotten army. Stop taking carers for...
- 00:22 The Yorkshire Post says: New foundations. Home truths on social...
- 00:22 Ros Altmann: Plan is not a silver bullet for care crisis
- 00:22 Joe Seddon: Oxbridge’s ivory towers need a level playing field
- 00:22 Jayne Dowle: Cap on EU workers must mean end to skills snobbery
- 00:20 The Yorkshire Post says: A forgotten army. Stop taking carers for...
- 00:20 Ros Altmann: Plan is not a silver bullet for care crisis
- 00:20 Joe Seddon: Oxbridge’s ivory towers need a level playing field
- 00:20 Transport Secretary Chris Grayling launches rail review to probe...
- 00:20 Chris Grayling’s department criticised in damning timetabling chaos...
- 00:19 Bournemouth news: Junior Stanislas opens up on potential return...
- 00:19 Cristiano Ronaldo: Juventus forward 'will' play against Man Utd...
- 00:19 SPEN MAN DENIES 'ORCHESTRATING' FIRE
- 00:19 Scholes on brink of return to CYL Premier
- 00:18 Martin Sellner: The new face of the far right in Europe
- 00:18 Too much gluten while pregnant linked to increased diabetes risk...